What atrocities did the Allies commit in World War 2?

Nov 2013
US
This is not in any way to sympathize with fascist Italy, Nazi Germany or imperialist Japan but I want to steer away from the Mary Sue mentality toward history.

What atrocities/war-crimes did Britain, France and other allies commit during the war?

Mar 2013
Australia
Dresden, Hiroshima and Nagasaki stand out. But I'm sure there's others, maybe someone more knowledgable than I am about this period can make some suggestions.

What's the Mary Sue mentality?

May 2014
Missouri
I think it means an "idealized" situation. In this aspect, the "idealized" truth would be that the Allies were completely flawless human beings incapable of causing unnecessary death. That is unfortunately far from the truth.

The obvious ones are the bombings of many German cities, nuking of Japan, many battles in the Pacific were massacres of Japanese.

The worse "atrocity" was probably the restructuring of Germany that divided the nation for the next 50 years or so.

KGB

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Bombing upon civilians; killing POW`s without court; unfair court procedures; allowing communists to to their huge atrocities, sometimes torturing POW`s to get information.

Some of those things are done by anyone in the wartime, so I would not dramatize it; on the other hand, we have to know, that the Ally side also got dirty in this war...

Oct 2013
Monza, Italy
Althoguh I'm not documented, it's commonly recognized that Anglo-Americans forces allied with local Mafia leaders when they entered into Sicily, helping them to regain power for the next decades.

Jan 2014
Florida
Wikipedia has an article on it.
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_war_crimes_during_World_War_II]Allied war crimes during World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Similar History Discussions