What books about the British empire in India?

Jul 2015
Australia
I would like to read more about the history of the conquest of India by the British. What are some good books on this subject?

Thanks.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
"Raj; The Making Of British India" Lawrence James, Little Brown and company, England 1997

If you are going to study India, it may be a good idea to look the history of India; a great country, with an advanced civilisation when the Britons were still living in mud huts and painting their bodies blue,

Fora deeper understanding of India I recommend :

"Daily Life in Ancient India, from 200 bce to 400 ce" . Jeannine Auboyer Paperback edition, Phoenix Press London, 2002.

" GEM in the LOTUS The Seeding Of Indian Civilisation"" Abraham Eraly. Paperback edition, Phoenix Press, London 2005.

OF COURSE there are some very knowledgable Indian members here who are almost certainly better equiped to help you.

Mar 2016
Australia
If you are going to study India, it may be a good idea to look the history of India; a great country, with an advanced civilisation when the Britons were still living in mud huts and painting their bodies blue
It's this condescending attitude of cultural and racial superiority which gets the British labelled racist, and yet when it's inverted it's seen as perfectly acceptable. How about we leave the insults of different civilizations out of any discussion of serious history?

Reactions: World Focker
Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
It's this condescending attitude of cultural and racial superiority which gets the British labelled racist, and yet when it's inverted it's seen as perfectly acceptable. How about we leave the insults of different civilizations out of any discussion of serious history?
What?

Did I make a factual error? If so, I apologise. No insult was intended. As far as I know my statement about the Britons is factual and fair.

The Indus Valley civilization of ancient India was one of the earliest civilizations in world history. It was located in the north-western region of the Indian subcontinent, and its rise and fall form the first great chapter in the history of ancient India.
The Indus Valley is contemporary with the civilizations of Mesopotamia and Ancient Egypt. The civilization is famous for its large and well-planned cities. Over 1,052 cities and settlements have been found. Most of these are small, but amongst them are some of the largest cities of their time, especially Harappa and Mohenjo-daro.

--The Indus valley civilisation was gone by 1700. My comment was not mean to offend anyone,,my intention was only to make a factual comparison. I'm sorry if you choose to be offended.

The link below is well worth looking at

Vhttps://www.timemaps.com/civilizations/Indus-Valley-civilization/

IF a moderator or some member I respect calls me out, I'll apologise again

.That's all I have to say to you on this topic.

Jul 2015
Australia
Thanks for the recommendation of 'Raj'. The kindle edition is quite cheap on Amazon.

'The Rise and Fall of the British Empire' by Lawrence James also looks good but no kindle edition.

Last edited:
Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Thanks for the recommendation of 'Raj'. The kindle edition is quite cheap on Amazon.

'The Rise and Fall of the British Empire' by Lawrence James also looks good but no kindle edition.
Welcome.Enjoy

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
There are several books on India and its history which I can recommend. You can have a look at ' The Continent of Circe ' by Nirad C.Chaudhari, an anglophile Hindu Indian who migrated to the UK and died a Christian there. A very learned man, in command of his English. His book is a book of Hate and Love. An interesting read.

Reactions: bboomer

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
' Lord Clive of India' is yet another book by Nirad Chaudhary which outlines the conquest of Bengal province by the British East India Co.s' forces under Lord Clive. This marked the beginning of the conquest of India by the British.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
I have the following books on British India:
1. The East India Company - by Brian Gardner
2. The men who ruled India - by Philip Mason
3. Raj, The making and unmaking of British India - by Lawrence James

Jul 2015
Australia
I've read the first 3 chapters and it is quite interesting so far. Every few sentences or so I need to reach for a dictionary though. Its been quite a while since I have read a book on history.