What can Egypt do to destroy Afrocentrism?

Jun 2017
al-Uqṣur
I think that many African Americans did notorious originally come from the Sudan or near Egypt, and Africa is a big place.

That said, the Egyptians were not one particular race. Take a look at Egyptian mummies, Maiherpri, for example. He had status and was part of Egyptian society, right? Queen Tiye? Was she not an Egyptian queen? The Nubian soldiers in the Egyptian army --they weren't Egyptian? It can be argued that those folks were Nubian or taken as wives or subjects, but they DID contribute to Egypt. And of course later there was a Nubian dynasty. African Americans who want to celebrate Africa look to Egypt as its greatest treasure and want to celebrate that, though they may have nothing more in common with some of them than their phenotypes.
Queen Tiye looked like any modern egyptian women today.

Nubian soldiers were not seen as egyptians but as nubians. There was always a clear distinction.

The Nubian dynasty was shortlived thing when egypt was in its worst times.

Jun 2017
Connecticut
As an American(not black) who looks at these topics with interest here's my perspective that I think the foreigners on here don't understand that will help them grasp this situation a bit better. It doesn't take much to see that the reason African Americans are laying claim to Egyptian and East African history(when they came from West Africa) is that they grow up being taught that they don't have any history prior to slavery. So I do think it's important to examine this from their shoes and how a historically interested black american would feel with their other classmates being able to talk about their historical heritage without being able to point to a history themselves.

An important aspect of why "Afrocentrism" and the widely held African American belief that "we were the descendants of Kings and Queens" persists despite information saying otherwise is a conspiracy mentality where many African Americans don't really trust established sources of information. It's hard to blame them seeing Jim Crow, the racism they face, and the supply of actual conspiracies against African Americans. Think of it this way if someone from a discriminated against group is told from Person A they are descended from Kings and then are told by Person B that this isn't true for X,Y and Z they are going to have trust issues with Person B regardless of the merit's of his argument.

Another thing is how African Americans and Americans in general over the last century have been taught to view race and history. African Americans are identified as "black" and Americans of lighter skin tones are identified as white, regardless of ethnic heritage. Now with this mindset if an African American see's black Egyptians(not that all Egyptians were black) who like them this is all they need to establish a link, rather than actual proof of heritage. In America all people who look a certain way are considered black regardless of the unknown part of West Africa their ancestors came from and this mindset is therefore applied by them to Africa and African identity as well. Of course Africa until 1867 wasn't really a continent(I don't consider Europe a continent either nor South America pre Panama Canal) and there was nothing except desert separating Egypt from the Middle East same as there was nothing seperating Egypt from Nubia. Therefore in Egypt you would see people looking more white and you would see people looking more black.

Of course the reason that African Americans claim Egypt is because due to not identifying Africa as separate areas due to not knowing where they came from they identify the continent of Africa as a whole as where they came from even if they came almost exclusively from the Western coastal regions. Therefore they are going to naturally try to identify with the most prestigious and valued historical tradition on the continent of Africa which is Egypt. Egypt being in Africa and Egyptians looking like African Americans today is enough for many people. Of course given that criteria Nubia would be a more appropriate choice(Ghana is probably the empire African Americans should be looking to the most) but again no one outside of the historical community(in my experience in the US) really knows who Nubians are. People of all ethnicities in the United States know, respect and are interested in Ancient Egypt. So I think that recognition is a factor as well as to why Egypt and not some other African empire.

I also do think regardless of merit the way this issue is discussed(from other threads on this topic I have read at great length) and Afro centrism is dismissed with such glee will only convince believers in that theory to think the posters are racist and will do nothing to convince African American's that they are wrong and will only get them to dig in to their position more.

So I think it's important we understand the mentality behind this movement instead of marveling that people aren't listening to logic and reason here.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Queen Tiye looked like any modern egyptian women today.

Nubian soldiers were not seen as egyptians but as nubians. There was always a clear distinction.

The Nubian dynasty was shortlived thing when egypt was in its worst times.
I asked you this in a previous thread, and I don't believe I ever got an answer.

You seem to be awfully offended by the suggestion that some of your ancestors may have been black sub-Saharan Africans. Why?

Jun 2017
al-Uqṣur
I asked you this in a previous thread, and I don't believe I ever got an answer.

You seem to be awfully offended by the suggestion that some of your ancestors may have been black sub-Saharan Africans. Why?
My brother did DNA test 2 years ago. He has no sub sahara Haplo Groups. Since we have same parents, same counts for me.

That said, in Egypt we take great pride in our ancestors. It is our roots and you need roots to survive. When someone tries to steal your history, he steals your past, your roots and with that your future and alienates you with your own land.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
My brother did DNA test 2 years ago. He has no sub sahara Haplo Groups. Since we have same parents, same counts for me.

That said, in Egypt we take great pride in our ancestors. It is our roots and you need roots to survive. When someone tries to steal your history, he steals your past, your roots and with that your future and alienates you with your own land.
That wasn't what I asked you. I specifically asked you why you seemed offended that people were suggesting that your ancestors might have included some black sub-Saharan ancestors, since that seems to be the focus of your argument. The suggestion that ancient Egyptians might have been black.

Jun 2017
al-Uqṣur
That wasn't what I asked you. I specifically asked you why you seemed offended that people were suggesting that your ancestors might have included some black sub-Saharan ancestors, since that seems to be the focus of your argument. The suggestion that ancient Egyptians might have been black.
I think it is the answer. They were not black. Im not black. My ancestors did look like me. When someone claims otherwise, it is an insult then.

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
I think it is the answer. They were not black. Im not black. My ancestors did look like me. When someone claims otherwise, it is an insult then.
Why it is necessarily an insult?

If a Chinese reclaim that ancient Portuguese (including my ancestors) were from China, I would disagree, but would not see it as an insult, and I would view it as very odd for other Portuguese people to be insulted by that.

If you see it as an insult, then it kinda looks to me that you somehow have a very unfavorable opinion of Sub-Saharan Africans in generally to the point that you feel personally insulted by being associated with them in every shape or form.