What can you tell me about the german officer in this picture? (WWII)

Sep 2019
Antioch
I found a picture of a german officer and I'm very curious to find out more about him.
Things like, his army ranking and the significance of the things on his Waffenrock.
Also in which year do you estimate this photo to have been taken?
I would be very happy if anyone could share his/her expertise with me on this matter :drool:

6140ee1d45f5c36b20113877bc117854.jpg

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
I found a picture of a german officer and I'm very curious to find out more about him.
Things like, his army ranking and the significance of the things on his Waffenrock.
Also in which year do you estimate this photo to have been taken?
I would be very happy if anyone could share his/her expertise with me on this matter :drool:

View attachment 22999
I'm a complete noob at these things, but just googling around for 5 minutes seems to indicate he's sporting not just an Iron Cross, but a West Wall Medal, and lower down 4 badges, the Iron Cross Badge, an Infantry Assault Badge, and then... maybe a Wound Badge, and an General Assault Badge? Couldn't say what rank he might be from what's visible in the picture...

Reactions: Shemesh

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Since Historum is an international forum, we have already made other posters note that the picture of the avatar should be polite and culturally not offensive. There are cultures were a teasing sexy woman can be considered offensive.

As moderator, I suggest you to change the picture in your avatar.

Feb 2019
Serbia
He has an Iron Cross, a Westwall badge, another Iron Cross, an Infantry Assault Badge. The bars on his collar seem to indicate that he's an NCO. I can't make out his rank due his epaluettes but I guess that he's a Staff Sergeant.

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Looks like Infantry assault badge in silver

German army eagles and insignia, i cant count the insignia or buttons on the epaullette but solid silver/white braiding probably means oberleutnant. His collar braid dont show up well, could be anything.

The aigulettes say he's adjutant or assistant to a commanding officer.

Looks like someones just landed himself a nice staff job which explains the fancy cuffs, belt and gloves.

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
On the regular uniform NCOs have thick white braid round the edge of the collar which i think is whats throwing Gambrinus off. Unfortunately the dress uniform has a lot more decorative edges.

If he's carrying the assault badge in silver instead of bronze (a guess but its shinier than the wound badge) then he cant be a Panzer-grenadier/mechanised troops.

So its likely he's a regular infantry officer in the Wehrmacht, he's been highly decorated with the EK1 and 2 after receiving at least three wounds (possibly silver wound badge, if it was gold he'd be a lot more battered or dead!) and has taken part in at least three infantry assaults.

If he'd picked up any of those after 42 he'd probably have the close combat clasp as well and he doesnt and i dont think thats the eastern front (aka the frozen meat order) medal on the right but i cant see enough detail to work out what it is.

i'd go with it being in the early part of the war but thats just because 'glamour' photography went out of style later in the war at about the same time full dress uniform became more difficult to source for junior officers.
Also the westwall medal is 1939, there are no campaign shields or cuff tiles (eg Afrika, Crete, Demjansk etc) or other late war awards so maybe someone who has got experience in Poland or France and then made enough of a reputation to get a staff posting.

It might also be a new position, thats a classic shot for sending a photo back to family but nobody more senior has pulled him up about his left collar tab being out of alignment. I dont know what the quality of the pins on the back of those collar tabs are like, my set are later war and theyre horribly difficult to place and not break.

Last edited:

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
The black badge to the right (as viewed) of the infantry assault badge - what is it? The wound badge in silver (or gold) is at the bottom.

EDIT: I'm 99% sure it's an older wound badge of the Condor Legion, which would answer two other questions I had about this photo: 1) How he could collect so many wounds in such a short campaign; and 2) Why two different wound badges would be worn at the same time. Only 147 of that badge were awarded.

Also, he's certainly an infantry Leutnant - no question about that.

Last edited: