What caused France to shift from being an eager Crusading power to being an Ottoman ally within a time period of several centuries?

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
Very interesting question... What´s to be a Turk? I found turks in Central Asia... and I know Dervishes named British Soldiers as "turks"....I´ve read some Huns....were turks!!!! or Bulgarian... or Ottomans.. or Seldjucids.. or Kiu Kiu....

A good question... Who are the Turks?
The term is problematic. For example, in medieval Greek the Hungarians are "Turkoi", (and of course, Magyars to themselves). My main point, however, is that there is no single Turk polity in the near east in the early thirteenth century so it's rather hard to address the attitude of the crusaders (as if they were unified!) towards them.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
The term is problematic. For example, in medieval Greek the Hungarians are "Turkoi", (and of course, Magyars to themselves). My main point, however, is that there is no single Turk polity in the near east in the early thirteenth century so it's rather hard to address the attitude of the crusaders (as if they were unified!) towards them.
I agree with you...I had an hungarian sweet heart much time ago.. and she told me Hungarian-Finnish and Turks are matched! she told me not trouble to her hear turkish language!

I guess Turks in 13th Century they were Seldjucids... not ottomans at all... (I must to confess I don´t know the difference between Seljudcids and Ottoman Turks!!!).. and by other side... Ottoman´s enemy number on.... Timur Lang.... he also was a Turk!!!!

So.. I guess "Turk" is a kind of word used by people as a "bag"... under this word we name a set of differente peoples, cultures, ethnicities etc...

May 2014
SoCal
I was talking about the Sultanate of Rum here.

Similar History Discussions