What caused the extinction of the Prussian people?

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
BTW, are you claiming that settlers who came to East Prussia from the German-Dutch borderland were majority N1c or majority R1a?
N1c and R1a do not define anything other than a common paternal ancestry for many populations at some time in the past and well before concepts of Slavs and Balts.

Are you are aware that genetic discussions are banned on this forum? Occasionally people stray and certain allowances are made, but I think you are pushing the limit with the charts.

Why don't you take your ideas to a site such as anthrogenica.com?

Jun 2016
EU (still!)
"Balts" are not a concept, but ethnically and linguistically related populations.

We have surviving texts in Old Prussian language, and it was undoubtedly Baltic.

Comet

Forum Staff
Aug 2006
IA
N1c and R1a do not define anything other than a common paternal ancestry for many populations at some time in the past and well before concepts of Slavs and Balts.

Are you are aware that genetic discussions are banned on this forum? Occasionally people stray and certain allowances are made, but I think you are pushing the limit with the charts.

Why don't you take your ideas to a site such as anthrogenica.com?
Believe me when I say this...He knows the policy well. It is why he has been banned...again :).

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
That's what I do.

I was just debunking your claim that Old Prussians went the way of the Dodo in a biological sense.
As an ethnic group, they did. All you have are some lines which predate the Old Prussians and which are now admixed in the surrounding populations. The language and the people ceased after the great northern war. The effect of the plague is a matter of history.

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
Believe me when I say this...He knows the policy well. It is why he has been banned...again :).
Oh right! I thought 'this seems all vaguely familiar'.

He does seem very interested so a specific genetics forum is the best place.

Comet

Forum Staff
Aug 2006
IA
Oh right! I thought 'this seems all vaguely familiar'.

He does seem very interested so a specific genetics forum is the best place.
Yeah, he reveals himself easily. He can't help but to have a discussion on genetics. It makes it even more funny that he always thinks he is educating people :notrust:

That was great pointing him to a genetics forum. Thanks for doing that!

Jun 2016
Sweden
That's what I do.

I was just debunking your claim that Old Prussians went the way of the Dodo in a biological sense.
As the other guy said, the distinct ethnic group known as "Prussians" are extinct.

Just because there are some genetic markers in German, Polish, Lithuanian etc populations that came from Prussians, does not mean that Prussians aren't extinct.

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
As the other guy said, the distinct ethnic group known as "Prussians" are extinct.

Just because there are some genetic markers in German, Polish, Lithuanian etc populations that came from Prussians, does not mean that Prussians aren't extinct.
You might find the wiki articles on the old prussian port of Truso interesting and how it was incorporated into the germanic and polish spheres:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truso

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbląg#Old_Prussian_Truso