What conversations would you like to see between historical figures?

Feb 2019
Thrace
For example:

Alexander - Caesar
Jesus - Mohammad
Newton - Einstein

Or between possible contemporaries:

Alcibiades - Buddha (this one would be one of the most interesting debates in history)

Confucius - Pytagoras

Socrates - Panini (they would probably get lost in semantics allot :lol:)

Da Vinci - Copernicus (they could probably have achieved wonders in a team)

Giordano Bruno - Shakespeare

Shakespeare - Cervantes

Shakespeare - Galileo (Yes, I love my Shakespeare :D )

Galileo - Descartes

Spinoza - Newton (about religion mostly)

Newton - Voltaire (the young Voltaire debating with the old Newton would be wonderful)

Goethe - Babbage (from polymath to polymath)

Tesla - Einstein (this never happened, right?)

Feb 2019
Thrace
Noam Chomski - Edward Witten would probably be the most intellectually charged. Arguably the greatest philosopher alive vs arguably the greatest physicist alive.

Mar 2016
Australia
Churchill and Hitler. Apparently at one point they were both in the same cafe in Vienna, and Churchill was offered the chance to meet Hitler, but he refused, mostly on the basis that he disliked his anti-Semitism. Still, a meeting between two of the most important men of the era would have made for some fascinating history.

Feb 2019
Thrace
Churchill and Hitler. Apparently at one point they were both in the same cafe in Vienna, and Churchill was offered the chance to meet Hitler, but he refused, mostly on the basis that he disliked his anti-Semitism. Still, a meeting between two of the most important men of the era would have made for some fascinating history.
What about non-contemporaries?

Apr 2014
Liverpool, England
You might want to look up the "Imaginary Conversations" of Walter Savage Landor. Lucullus and Caesar, William Wallace and Edward I, Melancthon and Calvin are just a sample of quite a large collection.

Reactions: Openminded
Nov 2016
Germany
Chomsky =
the greatest philosopher alive
Could you clarify that assertion?

a meeting between two of the most important men of the era would have made for some fascinating history.
And possibly would have given history another direction.

What certainly applies to a possible meeting Hitler - Freud (who would have recognized and maybe analyzed Hitler´s immense father complex, what probably would have prevented Hitler from becoming an anti-Semite in 1919, but it didn´t happen, so that Freud had to emigrate to England in 1938 due to Hitler´s persecution of Jews, while 4 of his 5 sisters died in concentration camps):

Café Central - Wikipedia

In January 1913 alone, Josip Broz Tito, Sigmund Freud, Joseph Stalin, Hitler, and Trotsky (the latter two being regulars) were patrons of the establishment.

Last edited:
Apr 2012
The Netherlands
I would love to have famous puritans like Chromwell meet emperor Elegabalus. It should be quite a sight.

Feb 2019
Thrace
Chomsky =

Could you clarify that assertion?

And possibly would have given history another direction.

What certainly applies to a possible meeting Hitler - Freud (who would have recognized and maybe analyzed Hitler´s immense father complex, what probably would have prevented Hitler from becoming an anti-Semite in 1919, but it didn´t happen, so that Freud had to emigrate to England in 1938 due to Hitler´s persecution of Jews, while 4 of his 5 sisters died in concentration camps):

Café Central - Wikipedia

In January 1913 alone, Josip Broz Tito, Sigmund Freud, Joseph Stalin, Hitler, and Trotsky (the latter two being regulars) were patrons of the establishment.
You forgot the word "arguably" from my post. Be careful with that because it's against the rules iirc. Would be easier if you'd name what philosophers (among the ones still alive) you rank above him. I have to say though, Chomsky being among the most highly rated philosophers of the last 50 years is common knowledge (unless you argue he shouldn't be classified as such to begin with). You'd get pretty subjective to claim otherwise, and the thread would derail into a left vs right debate, so no thanks.

Reactions: Niobe