What conversations would you like to see between historical figures?

Nov 2016
Germany
You forgot the word "arguably" from my post. Be careful with that because it's against the rules iirc. Would be easier if you'd name what philosophers (among the ones still alive) you rank above him. I have to say though, Chomsky being among the most highly rated philosophers of the last 50 years is common knowledge (unless you argue he shouldn't be classified as such to begin with). You'd get pretty subjective to claim otherwise, and the thread would derail into a left vs right debate, so no thanks.
I asked a harmless question, but you're reacting rather irritably. Why that? You don't even give a single argument why Chomsky - whether only ´arguably´ or otherwise - should be the greatest living philosopher. So you write "arguably" but don´t provide any solid argument. Instead, you're just pointing out that he's supposed to be one of the highest ranked philosophers of the last 50 years, which you claim is "common knowledge". You couldn't think of more arguments? And why do you conclude from his belonging to that group that exactly he - and no one else - is the "arguably" most important philosopher of our day? Why do you choose exactly him? There are others (Habermas, Foucault, Derrida, Wilber, Popper etc.) who have or had much more influence in the philosophical scene and are much more cited and discussed than Chomsky, who is mainly known as a linguist (Habermas and Wilber are still alive and are, in my opinion, much more important as philosophers than Chomsky, what can be claimed in good conscience even without an "arguably").

Last edited:
Feb 2019
Thrace
I asked a harmless question, but you're reacting rather irritably. Why that? You don't even give a single argument why Chomsky - whether only ´arguably´ or otherwise - should be the greatest living philosopher. So you write "arguably" but don´t provide any solid argument. Instead, you're just pointing out that he's supposed to be one of the highest ranked philosophers of the last 50 years, which you claim is "common knowledge". You couldn't think of more arguments? And why do you conclude from his belonging to that group that exactly he - and no one else - is the "arguably" most important philosopher of our day? Why do you choose exactly him? There are others (Habermas, Foucault, Derrida, Wilber, Popper etc.) who have or had much more influence in the philosophical scene and are much more cited and discussed than Chomsky, who is mainly known as a linguist.
Foucault, Derrida, and Popper aren't alive anymore. I said last 50 years because that's the time frame when living philosophers most likely operated. And I genuinely just wanted to inform you about the rules regarding the quote process, which I felt was relevant to the present situation since "arguably the greatest" and "the greatest" are not synonymous. In retrospective, my reply does come across as sassy. Sorry about that!

Now about Chomsky, he was cited more than any other living scholar in humanities and arts between 1980 and 1992. If you're only objecting that he shouldn't be considered a philosopher, I find it hard to label any serious intellectual now days strictly a philosopher. As far as I'm concerned, philosophical progress has nearly run its course (hope I didn't open another can of worms with this one). So I will concede. Maybe I should have said the greatest "public intellectual" instead (he was named so by several surveys). Unfortunately I can't edit my post now.

Reactions: Druid and Calebxy
Feb 2019
Thrace
You might want to look up the "Imaginary Conversations" of Walter Savage Landor. Lucullus and Caesar, William Wallace and Edward I, Melancthon and Calvin are just a sample of quite a large collection.
Just finished, Lucullus and Caesar. Delightful read! Thank you!

Jul 2019
Craiova, Romania
I would really like to see, Hitler and Wilhelm ll, Hitler and Einstein, Carol l and Carol ll (kings of Romania, the first been a Romanian legend and the second been a big failure), Stalin and Ceausescu.

Reactions: Openminded
Mar 2018
United States Of America
Lucrezia Borgia & The Virgin Mary

Edward Of Westminster & Henry 8

HenrI 7 & His sons wives

Elizabeth Of York & Katheryn Howard

Richard The 3rd & Henry 8

Henry 6 & Edward 4