What could the Mexican soldiers who "disarmed" American Soldiers on U.S. soil be charged with?

Status
Closed

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
That's an assumption. And assumptions are worthless. We don't know what happened, and if the President isn't revealing more information, it means one of three things:

-he has more info, but isn't releasing it.
-he doesn't have any more info, but the investigation is ongoing.
-he doesn't have any info, and either doesn't care or there is no investigation.
Or he has more info, but he really didn’t’ read it because the report had too many pages.

But you are right again, your assumptions like mine are worthless. We only read in the linked page that Trump said “probably”. “Probably” means that he doesn’t know for sure.

Oct 2009
San Diego
We aren't talking about those incidents, where no crimes were committed, no one pointed guns at anyone, and no one detained anyone. Another false moral equivalency.

Having spent 8 years as a soldier, with two combat deployments, I know what it takes and lived it. A basic skill is situational awareness, which includes knowing what country you are physically standing in before pointing a weapon at soldiers from a country we aren't at war with.
Bull.
Number one- detaining someone during an investigation is not a crime. Ask any police officer.
Number two- I don't care how many years you spent as a soldier- You were never any place you weren't TOLD where you were.
Either by a map- ( which can be wrong ) Or by a GPS system- ( which entailed exactly Zero 'skill' on your part )

When Navy destroyers can collide with lumbering container ships seven times their size despite the most sophisticated radar and nav systems in the world- that right there tells you that being a "soldier" doesn't mean a damn thing.

Mistakes are made. Soldiers kill innocents every day. And a "border' that has been politically hyperbolized into some kind of crisis that does not actually exist- to work up a bunch of racists with a fear over something that is no actual threat is exactly the kind of misuse of military forces that RESULTS in stupid mistakes.

Kudos to BOTH teams involved for not escalating a mere misunderstanding into some kind of silly ass international incident all because some guy didn't bring fresh batteries with his GPS unit.

And thank god YOU weren't one of the soldiers present- with your thinly disguised racist avatar and tendency to melodramatic over-reaction.

Jan 2009
Unfortunately, "official" statements by governments are unreliable.
Just to clarify, you don't trust the US Northern Command and their statements are merely "official"? But you were happily taking an uncorroborated, obviously biased, internet source as authoritative, as evidence that the Mexicans were working for the drug cartels?

EDIT:

Here is the full CNN story: Armed Mexican troops question American soldiers on US side of border - CNNPolitics

And evidence of communication and reasonable behavior on both sides:

"
The encounter took place south of the border fence in the area but north of the Rio Grande, the officials said.

However, the officials said the river in that area consists of brush-filled and dried-out riverbed, making it "very easy" for people to be confused as to what side of the border they are on.

One of the American soldiers spoke some Spanish and was able to explain the situation to the Mexican forces. The two sides talked the incident over and promised to de-conflict in the future, the officials said.

"An inquiry by (Customs and Border Patrol) and (the Department of Defense) revealed that the Mexican military members believed that the US Army soldiers were south of the border," Northern Command said while adding that the US troops were north of the border.

"Though they were south of the border fence, US soldiers remained in US territory, north of the actual border," the statement said, adding that "after a brief discussion between the soldiers from the two nations, the Mexican military members departed the area."
"

Nothing to say that the Mexican soldiers were NOT soldiers, or that they were driving one or more unmarked cars.

EDIT 2:
And since the moderator is getting the banhammer ready, it is time for me to duck back into my hole rather than have him play whack-a-mole on my skull. :)

Last edited:
Apr 2014
new york
I'm no big fan of Trump, but even I doubt he is that lazy/stupid/negligent to not read an important report like that, or at least have an aide read it and summarize it.
Trump is hardly lazy or stupid or negligent. I think it is time to awaken from the fantasy world; if the Russia hoax wasn't enough then we can spare no more time for the deluded, accepting their "frame" as it were

He is billionaire and President with boundless energy for a 72 year old, on supposedly 4 hours of sleep

Apr 2014
new york
Mistakes are made. Soldiers kill innocents every day. And a "border' that has been politically hyperbolized into some kind of crisis that does not actually exist- to work up a bunch of racists with a fear over something that is no actual threat is exactly the kind of misuse of military forces that RESULTS in stupid mistakes.

Kudos to BOTH teams involved for not escalating a mere misunderstanding into some kind of silly ass international incident all because some guy didn't bring fresh batteries with his GPS unit.

And thank god YOU weren't one of the soldiers present- with your thinly disguised racist avatar and tendency to melodramatic over-reaction.
Consider that immigration enforcement is swamped and that this is working as intended before Trump, it cannot be said that it is "hyperbolized" by racists. Wake up. Even the liberal outlets grudgingly let it slip in recent weeks - they can only fight reality so far. Why else do we even have sanctuary cities, processing centers, uncountable numbers of illegals in the US with Chamber of Commerce and Democrats excited over new serfs and voters?

Not to mention panic over sanctuary cities actually having to serve as sanctuaries. Think about how these Mexican troops are doing their job - did you and people you know hysterify over our own troops doing the same?

Aug 2014
Australia
Trump is hardly lazy or stupid or negligent.
Yep. He is definitely all of those things. The only reason he isn't in even more trouble is because his aids refused to obey his orders to break the law.
He is billionaire and President with boundless energy for a 72 year old, on supposedly 4 hours of sleep
How do you know he is a billionaire? He won't show anyone his tax returns, unlike every other presidential nominee for the last 40 years. Running a billion-dollar company is not the same as having a personal fortune of a billion dollars.

Last edited:

M9Powell

Ad Honorem
Oct 2014
appalacian Mtns
When Navy destroyers can collide with lumbering container ships seven times their size despite the most sophisticated radar and nav systems in the world- that right there tells you that being a "soldier" doesn't mean a damn thing.

You need too look up the definition of soldier. It's obvious you were never one. Those would be sailors responsible for those ships, not soldiers. I was a soldier for 28 years & that remark is extremely insulting.

Status
Closed