What Countries Still Wear Traditional Clothes

Nov 2015
Andromeda
In which countries do regular people still wear traditional clothes as daily and regular clothing.
Also, starting from which decade did traditional clothing become purely ceremonial in that country.
Exclude religious practitioners such as Gurus, Yogis, Sadhus, Imams, Monks, Shamans, Priests, etc.
Please correct me if there are any mistakes.

Both Clothes
India - both traditional and modern
Pakistan - both traditional and modern
Mongolia - both traditional and modern
Bangladesh - both traditional and modern
North Korea - both traditional and modern

Modern Clothes
China - no longer daily since the 30's?
Japan - no longer daily since the 30's?
Vietnam - no longer daily since the []'s
Thailand - no longer daily since the []'s
Singapore - no longer daily since the []'s
Philippines - no longer daily since the []'s
South Korea - no longer daily since the 70's?

Unsure
Laos Nepal Brunei Malaysia Myanmar SriLanka Indonesia Cambodia - unsure

Last edited:

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
also Afghanistan and the Arab Gulf countries (other Arabic speaking countries too, though there more common among the people from the country-side)

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Unsure
Laos Nepal Brunei Malaysia Myanmar SriLanka Indonesia Cambodia - unsure
In Nepal also there is mix of traditional and foreign clothing. Plain's dress culture is similar to North India, hill people wear pyjama Kurta coat while high Himalayas dress culture is similar to Tibetans.

Shaheen

Ad Honorem
May 2011
Sweden
Indonesians wear the Batik shirt which I suppose makes the country "both traditional and modern" as well. I have never been to the country so I do not know how commonly the Batik shirts are worn but certainly on formal occasions I believe.

Nov 2016
Indus Valley, Pakistan
The Shalwar Kameez reigns in Pakistan and Afghanistan - with both male/female wearing variants of the same thing.

May 2017
India
India and Pakistan ,we both are at loggerheads but generally traditional dresses still admired in both nations. Arab nations run by shariat so obviously their dress would be traditional.

Nov 2016
Indus Valley, Pakistan
One of my favorite male traditional clothes is the salwar kameez. Simple and minimalist design.
Sorry correction. "Sh" ..... Shalwar.

*This form of dress is sourced from Afghanistan and neighbouring region of Pakistan from whence it spread east. Of late it has been take up with gusto all over South Asia and displaced the traditional Indian staple the Saree. This is evident in India where older images will show everybody wearing Saree and men a loin cloth but now Shalwar has replaced these traditional Indian dress.

Last edited:
May 2017
India
One of my favorite male traditional clothes is the salwar kameez. Simple and minimalist design.
Frankly it is just different version of modern Western trouser and shirts. Kamiz is Arabic, shalwar is Iranian. Perso-Arabic dress but now mostly worn in Pakistan and North India (atleast here Pakistanis or say culture associated with them conquered Indians).