What did French opponents of Algerian independence envision for Algeria's future?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I recommend the book. Horne is an excellent writer - just occasionally his grasp of historical facts lets him down but he does seem to have managed to get interviews with just about every major actor except of course Boumediene, the puritanical puritan who out- did all the other hardliners to come out on top.
You know, I wonder why he didn't get an interview with Boumediene. After all, this book was first published in 1977 when Boumediene was still alive. Did he simply not want to talk about his role in the Algerian War?

Also, off-topic, but out of curiosity--how many more Europeans do you think would have moved to Algeria without the World Wars?

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
You know, I wonder why he didn't get an interview with Boumediene. After all, this book was first published in 1977 when Boumediene was still alive. Did he simply not want to talk about his role in the Algerian War?

Also, off-topic, but out of curiosity--how many more Europeans do you think would have moved to Algeria without the World Wars?
Did not want to talk, I suppose - lived in a very modest dwelling, very austere and detested the showmen politicians, so prevalent in the recently liberated colonies at that time.

I don't quite follow your last query. Do you mean did WW1 and WW2 result in fewer European settlers emigrating to Algeria? The big increase in numbers of European immigrants occurred in the aftermath of the1870, defeat to Bismark's Prussia.

Algeria must be still rather painful for many French people but I would imagine that they have a better handle on such subjects than I have - perhaps one of our French contributors can help.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Did not want to talk, I suppose - lived in a very modest dwelling, very austere and detested the showmen politicians, so prevalent in the recently liberated colonies at that time.
Interesting. Indeed, in spite of being a dictator, it looks like he really tried to be a man of the people.

I don't quite follow your last query. Do you mean did WW1 and WW2 result in fewer European settlers emigrating to Algeria? The big increase in numbers of European immigrants occurred in the aftermath of the1870, defeat to Bismark's Prussia.
Yes, I am wondering if the World Wars resulted in fewer Europeans moving to Algeria in comparison to a no-World Wars world. After all, the World Wars did result in a lot of young European men losing their lives.

Algeria must be still rather painful for many French people but I would imagine that they have a better handle on such subjects than I have - perhaps one of our French contributors can help.
Yeah, if they want to participate in this discussion, they should certainly go ahead. :) However, you certainly appear to be very knowledgeable about this topic. :)

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
Lived in Libya at the time. So what went on in Algeria was pretty close by.

Ben Bella was the poster boy, charismatic, martyr's suffering incarcerated in prison, the equivalent of Nelson Mandela and much better looking. I was surprised when he was so easily deposed by Boumedien.

I have no idea how the World Wars would effect European immigration into Algeria.

Perversely, the end of WW2 saw a big influx of white farmers into Zimbabwe - a lot of ex-RAF for some reason (maybe because the RAF had extensive training facilities in South Africa during the War?).

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Lived in Libya at the time. So what went on in Algeria was pretty close by.

Ben Bella was the poster boy, charismatic, martyr's suffering incarcerated in prison, the equivalent of Nelson Mandela and much better looking. I was surprised when he was so easily deposed by Boumedien.

I have no idea how the World Wars would effect European immigration into Algeria.

Perversely, the end of WW2 saw a big influx of white farmers into Zimbabwe - a lot of ex-RAF for some reason (maybe because the RAF had extensive training facilities in South Africa during the War?).
Very interesting information. BTW, why did you live in Libya back then? Were you on business there?