Votes: 4 15.4%
  • The invasion of Russia

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Something else

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters
May 2018
Michigan
I've always thought that the defeat in Russia "wrecked" France moreso than other theaters such as Spain, but both Napoleon and this video disagree. The argument for Russia has the benefit of similar arguments regarding WWII, and both are shrouded in more than a little nationalistic bias.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
You could make a argumnet eitehr wya, Spain, Russia, Strategic (the divided commands in spain, the absolutely horribel Russian , Political (you cannot keep making enimies uniting all the powers against you), Econimic (the levell of exploitation of the empire was unsustainable) mis managment. You could pick X and say hat was the cause of his downfall. But it was rnage of things coming together.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
It is not about a single factor (it rarely ever is)... It is not the case that he woke up late one day and , had he woken up 15 minutes earlier, things would have been different

Rather it is a combination of factors.. Pugsville named some of them, there are others as well....

Offspring

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
România
It's rare that it's just one clear thing. It's almost always a combination of things.

When Russia and Napoleon are brought up, people tend to focus on the war between them. Russia could have done more damage earlier, if they wanted to focus only on France, but they were a huge Empire with a ton of goals and France was far away. They were busy winning these:

Russo-Persian War (1804–13) - Wikipedia

Russo-Turkish War (1806–1812) - Wikipedia

Napoleon was aware of that, hence him trying to be on friendly terms with Russia several times, even after events like the War of the Third Coalition.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
It's rare that it's just one clear thing. It's almost always a combination of things.

When Russia and Napoleon are brought up, people tend to focus on the war between them. Russia could have done more damage earlier, if they wanted to focus only on France, but they were a huge Empire with a ton of goals and France was far away. They were busy winning these:

Russo-Turkish War (1806–1812) - Wikipedia

Russo-Persian War (1804–13) - Wikipedia

Napoleon was aware of that, hence him trying to be on friendly terms with Russia several times, even after events like the War of the Third Coalition.
The problem was Napoleon was very good at being friendly.

Reactions: Futurist

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
The inability to make the UK cease and desist in forming, and bankrolling, ever new coalitions against. "I'm sure the English are prepared to fight me to the last Prussian" as he put it.

As part of that, his frankly downright naive trusting of the Russian emperor as an ally against the UK.

Reactions: Tulius and Futurist

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
The inability to make the UK cease and desist in forming, and bankrolling, ever new coalitions against. "I'm sure the English are prepared to fight me to the last Prussian" as he put it.

As part of that, his frankly downright naive trusting of the Russian emperor as an ally against the UK.
Well Britian coul donly banroll colaitions because all teh other powers had major greivenaces with Napoleonic France and it was in their best interests to oppose Napoloen,

Napoleon was foolish to think he could sweet talk Russia or any other power to act consistently against their own interests. A one way treaty will eventually result in war.

Reactions: Futurist
Feb 2019
Serbia
I voted something else because it wasn't just 1 thing. Both of these campaigns as well as others such as the British naval campaigns and the 6th Coalition, Napoleon's system of governing, (Exploiting the Empire the way he did was not good and largely unsustainable.) Napoleon not being more diplomatic etc.

May 2018
Michigan
If I had to select one factor that ensured Napoleon's downfall, I would choose his ego and the ensuing belief that he could not make a mistake.
This is probably the biggest factor. Materially, however, I find it odd that Napoleon claimed it was the Spanish Ulcer. Certainly, the French lost a quarter million troops in Spain over the course of the Peninsular War. But he lost three quarters of a million men in Russia in less than a year.