What did the Angles, Saxons and Jutes do to the native English?

May 2016
Greater Manchester
Context. While it may be technically true that Celts migrated to Britain in 600 BC, the OP asked 'What did the Anglo-Saxons do with the natives?'
I know that. That's why I rightly pointed out that the Celts were NOT the native peoples of Britain but were themselves invaders.

May 2016
Greater Manchester
You have been misinformed.
No, I haven't. You have.

True, but Stonehenge wasn't built in the Bronze Age either and thus has nothing to do with it. The people who built Stonehenge were in all probability not indo europeans. They were largely replaced by the Bell Beaker Folk around the time of the bronze age and these people were in all probability, indo europeans, some of who spoke an italo-celtic or proto-celtic language.

Population Change in Bronze Age Britain
What is certainly true is that the Celtic people did not build Stonehenge, as those people hadn't yet invaded the British Isles.

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
No, I haven't. You have.
You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that the celts are a single people. No one has thought that for dcades. Do you discount the possibility that the bell beaker folk included proto celtic speakers? Proto goidelic celtic speakers are surmised to arrived in Britain between 2000BC and 1400BC whereas Bell Beaker Folk are surmised to have arrived between 2900BC and 1800BC so we have to consider the possibility that some bell beaker folk were proto celtic speakers. Certainly, the Brigantes who are a well known celtic speaking grouping in northern England in the late pre roman iron age show continuity with the Bronze age. This differs from their neighbours, the Parisii who may have been Brythonic Celtic speakers who arrived in the 6th cent. BC.

Last edited:

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
What is certainly true is that the Celtic people did not build Stonehenge, as those people hadn't yet invaded the British Isles.
Then why did you mention stonehenge if not imply that the people who built stonehenge were the native population in Britain in 600BC when, you claim, celtic speakers arrived? It's your red herring, not mine.

Last edited:
May 2016
Greater Manchester
Then why did you mention stonehenge if not imply that the people who built stonehenge were the native population in Britain in 600BC when, you claim, celtic spekers arrived? It's your red herring, not mine.
I said the people who built Stonehenge were not - as many believe - Celts as they hadn't arrived yet.

May 2016
Greater Manchester
You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that the celts are a single people. No one has thought that for dcades. Do you discount the possibility that the bell beaker folk included proto celtic speakers? Proto goidelic celtic speakers are surmised to arrived in Britain between 2000BC and 1400BC whereas Bell Beaker Folk are surmised to have arrived between 2900BC and 1800BC so we have to consider the possibility that some bell beaker folk were proto celtic speakers. Certainly, the Brigantes who are a well known celtic speaking grouping in northern England in the late pre roman iron age show continuity with the Bronze age. This differs from their neighbours, the Parisii who may have been Brythonic Celtic speakers who arrived in the 6th cent. BC.
Whether or not the Beaker people included Proto-Celtic speakers is immaterial, because the Beaker people also aren't natives to Britain. They are also invaders and completely wiped out the people who built Stonehenge.

As for the Celts you will see, if you did some research, that they didn't arrive in Britain until 600-500BC and were, like the Beaker people, the Romans, the Anglo-Saxons, the Vikings and the Normans, not the native people of Britain but foreign invaders.

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
Whether or not the Beaker people included Proto-Celtic speakers is immaterial, because the Beaker people also aren't natives to Britain. They are also invaders and completely wiped out the people who built Stonehenge.
At least you finally accept that some of the celtic speakers of Britain in the LPRIA arrived before 600BC. Not that they wiped out the late neolithic peoples. Some of those lines are still present. But the indo europeans were reproductively very much more successful. The numbers that arrived were surprisingly small however.

As for the Celts you will see, if you did some research, that they didn't arrive in Britain until 600-500BC and were, like the Beaker people, the Romans, the Anglo-Saxons, the Vikings and the Normans, not the native people of Britain but foreign invaders.
It is hypothesised that some of the brythonic celtic speakers arrived during that period, but many hold the view that the goidelic speakers were here earlier. I have done a lot of reading, people like Koch and Cunliffe, have you? Do you even know who they are?[/QUOTE]

Similar History Discussions