What did the German conservatives who supported Hitler in 1933 expect to happen after Hindenburg's death?

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Indeed, the Weimar Republic was secretly proceeding the rearmament by all sorts of stealth channels — using corporations set up at the foreign countries for weapon design and production, disguising the military department with "non-military department", sending officers to foreign countries as "military advisors" for gathering information and establishing military cooperation with other countries.

Adolf Hitler pretty much "inherited" the Weimar era's policy. He just publicized, materialized and escalated it to full-scale.
The military program under the republic was fairly modes, and teh argeement was far from universal without full government backing, cautious live within teh ecnomic realtiy it was not a massive program that was drastic resehaping the balance of power. Under Hitler it ws turned up to 11, the Military expansion form 1936 was unrelenting and probably beyond what could be sustained without war. The difference was massive. T

Nov 2009
Outer world
They underestimated the total character of the authoritarian government with which they hoped to overthrow the Republic, essentially they felt they could control Hitler and thus they tolerated him among them (he was not German, he was not an aristocrat, he was not protestant, he was not a Juncker and he was not a monarchist): as we all know, they were tragically wrong and their stupidity and shortsightedness cost much to the world.

Oct 2015
Belfast
If my recall of history is correct, it was thought that Hitler was, if you like, "a useful idiot" A return to autocratic rule was wanted and Hitler would be dumped as soon as that was achieved.

When Hitler became Chancellor, General Ludendorff sent a telegram to President Hindenburg. in which he stated -

"By appointing Hitler Chancellor of the Reich you have handed over our sacred German Fatherland to one of the greatest demagogues of all time. I prophesy to you this evil man will plunge our Reich into the abyss and will inflict immeasurable woe on our nation. Future generations will curse you for this grave action".

When Hindenburg first met Hitler, he was unimpressed and thought that Hitler would make a very good village postmaster.

Founding member of the Nazi Party - Gregor Strasser, resigned from the party in 1932 after a disagreement with Hitler. He is quoted to have said -

"Whatever happens, mark what I say. From now on Germany is in the hands of an Austrian, who is a congenital liar , a former officer who is a pervert (Ernst Rohm), and a clubfoot (Goebbels). And I tell you the last is the worst of them all. This is Satan in human form".

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Founding member of the Nazi Party - Gregor Strasser, resigned from the party in 1932 after a disagreement with Hitler. He is quoted to have said -

"Whatever happens, mark what I say. From now on Germany is in the hands of an Austrian, who is a congenital liar , a former officer who is a pervert (Ernst Rohm), and a clubfoot (Goebbels). And I tell you the last is the worst of them all. This is Satan in human form".
Yes, and Gregor Strasser was one of the many killed in the Night of the Long Knives. That's why Hitler's assuming the position of Head of State a month later was anticlimactic. It's an elected position under the Weimar Constitution. Did anyone really expect an election?

Last edited:

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
If my recall of history is correct, it was thought that Hitler was, if you like, "a useful idiot" A return to autocratic rule was wanted and Hitler would be dumped as soon as that was achieved.

When Hitler became Chancellor, General Ludendorff sent a telegram to President Hindenburg. in which he stated -

"By appointing Hitler Chancellor of the Reich you have handed over our sacred German Fatherland to one of the greatest demagogues of all time. I prophesy to you this evil man will plunge our Reich into the abyss and will inflict immeasurable woe on our nation. Future generations will curse you for this grave action".

When Hindenburg first met Hitler, he was unimpressed and thought that Hitler would make a very good village postmaster.

Ludendorff was involved with Hitler in the beer-hall putsch, had been humiliated when he had stood against Hindenburg for the Nazis in the presidential election of 1925, and had subsequently been pushed aside by Hitler and had come to hate him; so that telegram was motivated by nothing more than personal pique. Hindenburg and Ludendorff, what a pair, but Hindenburg was the better of the two, it was only that he had the opportunity to bring Germany to destruction by allowing Hitler into power and Ludendorff didn't.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
They underestimated the total character of the authoritarian government with which they hoped to overthrow the Republic, essentially they felt they could control Hitler and thus they tolerated him among them (he was not German, he was not an aristocrat, he was not protestant, he was not a Juncker and he was not a monarchist): as we all know, they were tragically wrong and their stupidity and shortsightedness cost much to the world.
Perhaps I misunderstood what the OP wanted. If it's at what point did it become clear that Hitler was not going to be controlled by anyone, it would have been when he got an enabling act passed by the Reichstag giving Hitler and the NSDAP-DNVP broad power to to rule under Article 48. On Feb 27 the Reichstag fire already provided Hitler the opportunity to get Hindenburg to invoke Article 48 emergency powers. The March 5 elections were massively disrupted by both Nazi and Communist gangs but the NSDAP-DNVP narrowly prevailed.

The original cabinet only had only four members of the NSDAP out of 14. As a result of the March elections Hitler had no opposition. So it seems that before this time one could expect the normal constitutional process with a new presidential election when Hindenburg died. After the elections, which included massive suppression of opposition parties, one could not be so sure. However even the Enabling Act of March 23, 1933 could be expected to expire eventually. So one could have some hope of the return of constitutional government. I think that hope ended with the mass murder that was the Night of the Long Knives. So when Hindenburg died one month later, the "law" was what Hitler said it was and nothing more.

http://www.woodville.org/documentos/131010was-weimar-doomed.pdf

Last edited:

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Hindenburg seemed to be happy enough to play along with Hitler after making him Chancellor, he basically sat back and made no positive attempt whatever to oppose any move that he took as far as I can see.

I recently watched this rather good documentary about him (German language):

Was struck by the flukes of fortune that brought him to such high position and reputation.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Hindenburg seemed to be happy enough to play along with Hitler after making him Chancellor, he basically sat back and made no positive attempt whatever to oppose any move that he took as far as I can see.
As I said before, Hindenburg simply surrendered after the March,1933 elections. He did not like Hitler, but the coalition had sufficient support and he thought the "village postmaster" would be contained.

Similar History Discussions