What did wendish vikings look like?

Jul 2007
Australia
I found a couple of links that might be of interests:

The Wends: The Wends (580-1218 AD) (DBA III-1a)
"The next major milestone in Wendish history can be traced to 965 AD, when the Viking Harald Gormsson (a.k.a. Bluetooth) married a Wendish princess and built a stronghold at Jomsborg on the Baltic Coast near the Wendish trading center of Wollin. "
The Wends (Northvegr website): Untitled Document

I am sure that with the influx of Scandinavians into the area, their appearance would be somewhat blended - think Scandanavian settlement of Normandy, England and Ireland.

History of Wends (wikipedia): [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wends]Wends - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Apr 2011
Sarmatia
I found a couple of links that might be of interests:

The Wends: The Wends (580-1218 AD) (DBA III-1a)

The Wends (Northvegr website): Untitled Document

I am sure that with the influx of Scandinavians into the area, their appearance would be somewhat blended - think Scandanavian settlement of Normandy, England and Ireland.

History of Wends (wikipedia): Wends - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is a bit wrong. Wends in general were Western Slavic tribes, closelly related with the Poles and Czechs, speaking the same language and worshipping the same Gods as the Poles before christianisation. Poles were just one of the tribes which founded the state and tried to unite other western slavic tribes so speaking about Polish conquest of the Wends is wrong. In the Scandinavian saga's the Poles are also being called "Vends" or "Vinds". Especially in Jomsvikinga saga and king Olaf Trygvasson Saga where Polish ruler is called by Scandinavians the king of the Wends or Vinds.

Apr 2010
evergreen state, USA
That's interesting about king Harold "Bluetooth" Gormsson's wife being Slavic (Wendle or whatever). You hardly ever see that at Ancestry.com. Most entries stick with his Swedish wife (Cyrid or Gyrid or whatever). At least two of Harold's children married in Normandy. The (official) wife of Richard "The Fearless" was Gunnora, daughter of Harold. The question is, did Harold Bluetooth have any children by Tove/Tova, his later wendish wife? I've been trying to follow my hypothetical maternal line back to Normandy and earlier. It would be funny if my supposed Scandinavian (via Normandy) ancestress turned out to be Wendish (West Slav). Gonnora (b. 936 or 945 or ?) was definitely the daughter of his Swedish wife, and I don't claim her to be on my maternal line. But my possible line (probably wrong) is a dead end with a vague origin in Denmark, Norway or Sweden, depending on which entry you look at.

Last edited:
Apr 2011
Sarmatia
That's interesting about king Harold "Bluetooth" Gormsson's wife being Slavic (Wendle or whatever). You hardly ever see that at Ancestry.com. Most entries stick with his Swedish wife (Cyrid or Gyrid or whatever). At least two of Harold's children married in Normandy. The (official) wife of Richard "The Fearless" was Gunnora, daughter of Harold. The question is, did Harold Bluetooth have any children by Tove/Tova, his later wendish wife? I've been trying to follow my hypothetical maternal line back to Normandy and earlier. It would be funny if my supposed Scandinavian (via Normandy) ancestress turned out to be Wendish (West Slav). Gonnora (b. 936 or 945 or ?) was definitely the daughter of his Swedish wife, and I don't claim her to be on my maternal line. But my possible line (probably wrong) is a dead end with a vague origin in Denmark, Norway or Sweden, depending on which entry you look at.
Cnut the great had Slavic mother as well, the sister of king of Poland.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigrid_the_Haughty"]Sigrid the Haughty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Her name comes from the sagas but the fact that Polish princess married Danish king is confirmed by contemporary German chronicles. She was first married to king of Sweden Eric Victorious and after his death to Danish Svein Forkbeard and she became the mother of Swedish and Danish kings.

Haesten

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Gunnor had three sisters all married in Normandy according to Robert of Torigni, GND viii 37
Robert of Jumieges says only that Gunnor was of noble Danish origin, GND iv 18.

Similar History Discussions