What did women do to improve gender equality in the Middle Ages?

Status
Closed
Jan 2019
London, United Kingdom
In another thread I was discussing women's abortion right, freedom in choosing spouse and career choice in the Middle Ages, and whether it was possible to organize a Women's March. My impression is that women did very little to improve their condition in history. I hope I am wrong. Does anyone knows anything like feminist movement or women's uprising in the Middle Ages?

Jan 2019
Montreal, QC
You weren't discussing much of anything, but refusing to listen to reason.

There was no "feminist movement" of the Middle Ages, as such a modern concept was, for the most part, incomprehensible to them. You are taking decidedly modern things and hoping to find them in the past. We have established that this is not how this sort of thing works.

Dec 2017
Regnum Teutonicum
I don't know what was discussed in another thread, but just to clarify: Are you interested in individual stories of individual women who tried to achieve/achieved better living conditions/powerful positions or are you interested in women beginning a feminist movement? If you are searching for the latter, it didn't exist. As Duchess of York writes, it is a modern concept. If you are searching for the first, there are some very interesting individual stories.

Jan 2019
London, United Kingdom
I don't know what was discussed in another thread, but just to clarify: Are you interested in individual stories of individual women who tried to achieve/achieved better living conditions/powerful positions or are you interested in women beginning a feminist movement? If you are searching for the latter, it didn't exist. As Duchess of York writes, it is a modern concept. If you are searching for the first, there are some very interesting individual stories.
I mean women who tried to elevate the status of women as a whole.

Jan 2019
London, United Kingdom
Or a woman who advocated for more rights and freedom for other women.

Last edited:
Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
As mentioned above, if you are talking about Europeans, you won't find that women's rights improved at all in the Middle Ages. Seems the Reformation in the 16th century was the first time women's rights were openly discussed. If you want to find women's rights back that far, you need to try other cultures.

Jan 2019
Montreal, QC
As mentioned above, if you are talking about Europeans, you won't find that women's rights improved at all in the Middle Ages. Seems the Reformation in the 16th century was the first time women's rights were openly discussed. If you want to find women's rights back that far, you need to try other cultures.
And even then, it's not the same sort of women's rights that we think about today. What @TillyCaine had referred to in her previous thread was things such as noblewomen being able to choose their husbands, abortion rights, &c. Decidedly modern things.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Protofeminism - Wikipedia follow the links at the end of the section on Medieval Europe
Brunhilda of Austrasia - Wikipedia
Our main source on Brunhilda is Gregory of Tours who was surprisingly enlightened in his attitudes towards women of power or influence. He wrote about several in "History of the Franks" by Gregory of Tours.
I'm not aware of any women who advocated for more rights of other women. There were many women who wanted more control over their own lives and were somewhat successful in attaining it, but only for themselves, not for all women.

Reactions: TillyCaine
Status
Closed