What do you believe happens in the after life?

Sep 2011
------------
So for athiests the answer would be that there is no after life...

But out of interest I am interested in peoples different perception of what happens.

If you belief in the after life - what is it you believe in and why? What will happen to you (or your soul)?

Could it be that there is no heaven and you move onto some kind of different universe? If so, why? how?

Or do you have another theory?

This is not about belief in religion or not by the way, it is speculating what happens... and please don't answer with things such as "because god says so".

Just genuine theories and ideas..... thanks:)

Zeno

Ad Honoris
Jan 2010
♪♬ ♫♪♩
To me the afterlife is the memories of those i leave behind. A fading paradise, or hell if it so be.

srb7677

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Plymouth,UK
I believe both in a spritual afterlife, and in reincarnation, and believe we all spend varying amounts of time in the afterlife before being reincarnated.

I believe that one of the main things that happens to us in the spirit realm of the afterlife is that we experience a spiritual cleansing, during which we deeply experience all pleasure and all pain we have ever given to others. Whether this cleansing is deeply pleasurable or hugely painful will depend entirely upon how good or bad we were in life. I suppose that in a sense we create for ourselves our own temporary heaven or hell.

We may then hang around in the afterlife for a time, watching over our still living loved ones, perhaps greeting them into the afterlife when their time comes, but eventually there comes a point when we re-enter the physical realm via reincarnation.

This is what I believe, but it is just a matter of faith and what I believe to be the balance of probabilities. I cannot of course prove any of it.

Feb 2011
Kitchener. Ont.
So for athiests the answer would be that there is no after life...
That assumption presumes the Afterlife is a theological belief, with theological overtones, I don't see that as necessarily true.

It often occured to me that every minute one person dies, another is born. If the answer to afterlife is actually spiritual transfer (from death of one to birth in another?) then how to account for population explosions? Where do the extra's come from, animals?

Although I do not believe in any afterlife, neither am I able to accept that at the point of the body dying, it's just lights out - for eternity!

I am a firm believer in the notion that, Nothing is ever created or destroyed, there is only change!

Regards...

Dec 2009
Please be aware that theism and afterlife are not synonymous; e.g.:

Some non-theistic religions (like some forms of Buddhism) certainly quite strongly believe in an afterlife.

There seems to be some theism (e.g. some animistic religions) without any concept of an afterlife.

And it's of course possible (in fact, quite likely) that some atheists (or agnostics) might believe in some form of afterlife.

Sep 2011
------------
Please be aware that theism and afterlife are not synonymous; e.g.:

Some non-theistic religions (like some forms of Buddhism) certainly quite strongly believe in an afterlife.

There seems to be some theism (e.g. some animistic religions) without any concept of an afterlife.

And it's of course possible (in fact, quite likely) that some atheists (or agnostics) might believe in some form of afterlife.
That is why I made the thread because I know there are many different forms of belief in this topic. :)

Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
After life is exactly the same as before birth, do you remember the year 1845? No, cos you didn't exist. Will you remember the year 2845? No, cos you won't exist. Makes perfect sense. For me wandering around on a white, fluffy cloud with a white bearded chap and angels is fantasy.

Your body will slowly decay and break down and the atoms which once made you will go on to make other things, whether living or dead. Birds, trees, grass, food etc. It's quite strange to think that the atoms which make you now were once part of living things which were around before. Dinosaurs, animals, bugs and even people may have once owned the atoms which make you.

You've got maybe 80 years or so, if you're lucky, to make the most of your consciousness. You won't exist for the rest of time so be very careful how you choose to spend your life.

If the rest of the world followed this mindset I'm convinced it would be a better place.

Feb 2008
trapped inside a hominid skull
I am an agnostic.However, if there is an afterlife, I believe that it is not as conventional religious people describe. One is no longer physical. One has no form .One has no boundaries. You realize that nothing exists except God. This union is love. Unfortunately, most religious people have this idea that we will meet loved ones, communicate with them etc. just as if we still had physical bodies. The only difference is that our after life bodies will be , more mist like, or something. To me such a view of the after life is as primitive and silly as the idea that God is a giant old man with a white beard.
Perhaps it would be like waking up from the dream of separation. Quantum mechanics talks about entanglement and non-locality.

Aug 2011
Well to tell the truth I just don`nt know, science is trying to prove everyday it all delusions, however in some cases of NDE`s or the many cases of people seeing their loves after death, some things can not be explained.I like to think there is no reincarnation because I would never want to come back here in this world of suffering. I have had many signs from by Dad that had passed away that I had asked for that came true. But I don`t know it all just in my mind.

For instance one night I asked my Dad if your still aware put some coins in my shoe just like when were young when you went off to work. I told no one , a few days later I went into the foyer where we take off our shoes there was coins dropped on the floor. I asked hubby did you dropped those coins on the floor he said no . So I put on my shoes on and when I went to my daughters house and felt some thing in my shoe, I took one shoe off and there was a dime and some nickles in my shoe:)

Similar History Discussions