What do you know of/about the US Constitution?

Nov 2017
Houston, TX
What do you know about the U.S. Constitution? What are your favorite/not favorite parts in it? More importantly, do you think our leaders within the country obey it? What do you think their biggest challenges that they struggle with?

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Depending on typeface it's only about 15-20 pages, so its no feat to read it. What requires extensive study is the body of case law based on decisions in federal courts. Right now I think the biggest issue is that the Attorney General is appointed by the President and can be dismissed by the President. The AG should be in the independent judiciary branch. Like federal judges the AG can still be appointed by the president, but cannot be dismissed by the president.

I also think all citizens should be eligible to run for president except for state requirements regarding felons. It is the only office with the special requirement of being a citizen by birth, whatever that means exactly. There should not be two classes of citizenship where its impossible for the "lower class" to rise to "the upper class".

Last edited:

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
What do you know about the U.S. Constitution? What are your favorite/not favorite parts in it? More importantly, do you think our leaders within the country obey it? What do you think their biggest challenges that they struggle with?
-The last two questions are easy. Of course, the leaders don't obey the Constitution. they adhere to the forms (the parts that have numbers): 2 Legislatures, 2 Senators from each state, 6-year term, 2/3 majority. But as to jurisdiction, ie limited powers, the leaders have no respect for that.
-As to what they struggle with? Each other.
-I don't have a favorite "part." That's too hard to pin down. The design is based on principles.
-And what do I know about it? Much. :lol: Not that it ever did me any good.

Dec 2012
U.S.A.
Least favorite are the parts about Blacks being 3/5 of a person. The Founding Fathers had their chance to not have slavery but they were not as enlightened as some make them out to be. Also worth mentioning is no Line Item Veto and Supreme Court justices having a life term.

Oct 2014
In an ultimate "Spirt of the Game" (SOTG) state of
Least favorite would be lack of proportional representation.
There are a lot of talented people who are blocked from
getting into Congress because of geographic quotas -
2 senators per state, 1 rep per district.

Also Congress members elected in a nation wide proportional vote
would have a broader perspective. Members now have to be
concerned only with local, parochial issues.

Oct 2015
Norway
My favorite part is the 2nd Amendment because I like my guns.

Interesting choice. 2nd Amendment more important than free elections, free speech, free press, independent courts and the partition of power? My pick would be one of those.
BTW: The US and French Connections were the models of the Norwegian constitution of 1814. Our constitution is now the second oldest in Europe after San Marino.

Similar History Discussions