What do you know of/about the US Constitution?

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
I think I am right in saying that the President is elected for a term of four years, Senators 6 years and House of Representatives just two years.

I believe this is enshrined in the constitution. As an outsider, this seems to me to guarantee permanent electioneering and sometimes I wonder when anything gets done.

Also, why was FDR allowed to run four times and now Presidents are forced to retire after just two terms maximum?
Presidents serving for a maximum of two terms was not a law in the old days; it was a tradition After Roosevelt, it became law. During Roosevellt’s final term , the poor man was clearly dying

I’m wondering if it wouldn’t make more sense to increase House terms to 3 years in order to avoid the constant electioneering that takes place today.

Reactions: Futurist
Sep 2014
Queens, NYC
Increasing the Representative's terms to 3 years won't cut down on electioneering. These guys want their jobs more than they want to do their jobs.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
The continuous electioneering is probably more the result of the 24 hr news channels who have nothing else to talk about.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Presidents serving for a maximum of two terms was not a law in the old days; it was a tradition After Roosevelt, it became law. During Roosevellt’s final term , the poor man was clearly dying

I’m wondering if it wouldn’t make more sense to increase House terms to 3 years in order to avoid the constant electioneering that takes place today.
I'd rather keep the house at 2 years so that the people have a ready way to quickly respond if the House does something stupid or unpopular.