What do you think Heaven is like?

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Co
A place of "positive" emotions. One heaven can be another hell. You need some kind of brainwashing to keep a place where the mood is positive all the time. Heaven and hell are clearly religious mechanism to control the mass. Reward and punishment.
Controlling the masses by ' mechanisms ' went out of fashion when Galileo invented the telescope and showed that the earth was not at the center of the planetary system. Scientific advances have thrown out the Mythology from the contents of Religion. But the remnants of a Spiritual Belief in the psyche of the human society still remain and are quite active. While disbelief in Heaven and Hell is widespread, we---by that I mean most of the humanity--- still believe in God. Belief in God brings in attendant beliefs in Good deeds and the Merit that accrues from them, which is a systemic effort towards a moral society. Let us not besmirch it in a Communistic way as a ' Mechanism '.

Nov 2018
Montenegro
. . . those who find themselves in hell will be chastised by the scourge of love. How cruel and bitter this torment of love will be! For those who understand that they have sinned against love, undergo no greater suffering than those produced by the most fearful tortures. The sorrow which takes hold of the heart, which has sinned against love, is more piercing than any other pain. It is not right to say that the sinners in hell are deprived of the love of God . . . But love acts in two ways, as suffering of the reproved, and as joy in the blessed! (Saint Isaac of Syria, Mystic Treatises).

Jun 2012
Malaysia
Its interesting because those are the planets we know of. Could easily be other planets with life on them. One could say God already created all planets and beyond that all of the universe.
Welll, I was just contemplating, a scenario, that He might want to put life on Jupiter, about 200,000 or 2 mil years from now, and some human astronauts from Earth happened to arrive there, purely by chance, just as He was beginning his work. It does not matter what has happened to other planets outside our own immediate Solar System. OTOH, we might also hv been able to physically reach those by that time.

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
Oh yeah. Lions feeding on grass, hay, corn etc.. They want to experiment with vegetarianism now. OTOH, maybe the sheep wud like to try some meat, just for a change. And they bite off some from the lions feeding next to them. The lions don't mind, of course, becos their meat grows back again on them as soon as it's bitten off by the sheep. And they'd be on best-buddy terms by then, anyway.

As for the serpents, they're going to be quite profoundly nutritionally challenged, if they were feeding on ash. Becos completely burnt ash has zero calorific value. No carbs, no proteins, no cellulose. Not even elemental carbon.

Whatever.
Yes, this is why I'd be mad if I were a believer. How would a lion's soul look like? What if I meet my cat behind the rainbow bridge and she'd say, "why did you neuter me?" What if the fishies who died because we were inexperienced fish-owners say to me what they think about overfeeding them? And Christians have some strange ideas about fetuses or babies who died young. It is sheer craziness.
Better not to even think about it.

Nov 2013
Serbia
I think you are taking it way to literally arkteia and Dreamhunter. The Bible is filled with metaphores, this one with the lamb and lion feeding together symbolises that there will be no enmities of any kind, no matter how imposible it may seem. The one with the serpent feeding on dust - the serpent in the Bible represents Satan and ultimately everything that is evil in humans and the fact it shall eat dust simply means it will have nothing to feed on, its tricks and deceits will no longer find fertile soil in humans.

Jun 2012
Malaysia
Yeah. The metaphor excuse always makes a convenient & easy escape clause. But it is really more of a cop out. You might as well say that heaven & hell are both metaphors as well. And also the angels & the devil.

Feb 2015
Outer Deseret
Like so many others posting here, it's not appropriate for me to speculate because I don't think anything like "heaven" exists.

But ...

As my avatar suggests, I specialize in Utah and Mormon history and they have a more developed idea of "heaven" than most religions. Basically, they believe that it's like here, only more so.

You may have heard the joke, "The person with the most 'things' when they die, wins." The Mormons have gone that one better and assume that you go on accumulating "things" in heaven. (More accurately, the "Celestial Glory" to Mormons.) That was the whole basis for the polygamy that Mormons were so notorious for from 1843 to 1890. (Or, at least, the official basis.) Men were instructed ... Yea! ... commanded to "build up their kingdom" by acquiring more wives so they could have more children so they would have a head start on everybody else when they moved up to the next level after death. This existance is just one round of an infinite race to the top.

Nov 2013
Serbia
Yeah. The metaphor excuse always makes a convenient & easy escape clause. But it is really more of a cop out. You might as well say that heaven & hell are both metaphors as well. And also the angels & the devil.
It's not an excuse, it is an explanation since you obviously couldn't or didn't want to see the meaning behind the metaphor. And it is a fact that the Bible is filled with metaphors. Or do you really think the apostles actually consumed the body and blood of Christ during the Last Supper? Or that He would literally crush the head of the serpent and that the serpent would bite his heel, etc?

Jun 2012
Malaysia
It's not an excuse, it is an explanation since you obviously couldn't or didn't want to see the meaning behind the metaphor. And it is a fact that the Bible is filled with metaphors. Or do you really think the apostles actually consumed the body and blood of Christ during the Last Supper? Or that He would literally crush the head of the serpent and that the serpent would bite his heel, etc?
All right then. So then, someone can also say that heaven & hell, as well as satan & the angels, are all metaphors.

Nov 2013
Serbia
All right then. So then, someone can also say that heaven & hell, as well as satan & the angels, are all metaphors.
The way I understand it, Heaven is the presence of God and Hell is the absence of God. It is mentioned in the New Testament how Christians will be in Heaven with Jesus after their death, but this is not the main focus of the Bible. The main focus is the reuniting of Heaven and Earth through Jesus one day when he returns.

Similar History Discussions