What do you think of slavery?

May 2017
Monterrey
Agreed Im also against slavery. I imagine most if not all posters on this board are against slavery.

Workers have it a bit tough today, not as bad as they did in the sweatshop days of the Industrial ages. But not as good as they had it in the USA for example in most of the 20th century.
Workers in the western world you mean? In the bigger picture, everyone in the western world is in the middle class, and most of the rest of the world are the poor, on whose backs we are standing.

Reactions: Frog33inUK
Jun 2018
New York
I’m against it. However looking at slavery historically (in whatever form it took) I can see why it would be utilized. Why use your own people when you can use your enemy? (If they were captured in battle).The world and people change. How slaves were acquired and used changed. And how people phased it out and outlawed it changed.

The most interesting case of slavery being phased out of a society to me is with Scandinavia. It got to the point where people decided it wasn’t worth it anymore and it seemed to have phased out naturally.

(Oh course I’ll need to look it up again to make sure I have my facts straight.)

Mostly I try to take into account the context of the time and place. What was valued? How did they live?

Still against it, it is barbaric and stomps all over my beliefs.

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
Slavery for me is wrong.
But then not all peoples have believed in common humanity or equality.
And it was seen that some had to do the grunt work in society.

So if I were born in medieval EUrope, or was a European in c. 1750, I think my attitudes would be different.

Aug 2011
The Castle Anthrax
So... I see on another thread that the work force is supposed to automated by about 2030. Are we returning to a form of slave labor? That is, have our sensibilities essentially remained unchanged now that we can replace human slaves with artificial ones?

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
I am against Slavery. Some of my remote ancestors owned Slaves, most did not. I think it is a moral issue as well. Those who believe Slavery died out have never been to Africa. I also don't like the way some Muslims are enslaving women as a reward for a Jihad.

Pruitt

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
The origins of institutionalized slaver has already been brought up.

It presupposes some fairly elaborate divisions into us-and-them, with "them" ending up at "our" mercy, and disposal. What one can then observe is a "context of justification" once these people have been rendered incapable and put at "our" disposal. We can just kill them, not atypically as a sacrifice to the gods to celebrate our own good fortune. Or we can put them to work. (Or in some societies they might instead be adopted (or the survivors of any initial culling on behalf of the gods will), and through whatever both symbolical and practical transformations made into "us" as well.)

But with slavery, when we can follow it, there are fairly consistent threads of reasoning around the assumption that slaves are naturally suited to the condition. I.e. there are "natural slaves" and that also engenders the notion of "natural masters" (us, mostly). The other end of that is a centuries long debate over whether there not only exists a "natural aristocracy", but if that natural aristocracy happens to coincide with aristocracy by pedigree, by birth – something usually maintained by the aristocrats born to the condition.

All of which providing ample example of how man is not so much a "rational animal" as a "rationalizing animal".

And at the heart of it is to what extent it is possible to rationalize violence, domination and power as in itself a form of justice, or at least something not too unjust to require addressing.

Reactions: Phalo