What do you think of The Birth of a Nation?

Oct 2017
America ??
Today, the date this thread is posted, is Nat Turner’s birthday, which is why I’ve decided to post this thread today. Actually was there any way for slaves like Nat to know their birthdates for certain? In any case,
Happy Birthday Nat Turner!

What do you think of the movie? How well do you think it portrays the setting, characters as well as the story?

Reactions: Steel of Fury
Apr 2016
Raleigh, NC
It's dreadful. It turns Reconstruction, which sought to secure full civil rights for blacks and resulted in some fusion working people's parties, into a justification for extra-judicial violence against blacks so that the cheap labor provided by slavery could continue through Jim Crow laws.

Reactions: Futurist

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
I take it the OP intends to discuss the recent movie of that name.

I think it's stupid to give your movie a name that immediately makes people think of another movie, and one that's FAR more famous and influential at that. That's what I think.

Reactions: Pandra and Futurist

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Are you talking about the Nat Turner movie or the 1915 silent one? The latter reflected the persistent racism of the time but was much praised. The example of the US President Woodrow Wilson probably was a sign of the times. The otherwise liberal was, by word and deed, no friend of African Americans. The 1920's saw the explosive growth of the KKK .

Last edited:
Reactions: sparky and Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Are you talking about the Nat Turner movie or the 1915 silent one? The latter reflected the the persistent racism of the time but was much praised. The example of the US President Woodrow Wilson probably was a sign of the times. The otherwise liberal was, by word and deed, no friend of African Americans. The 1920's saw the explosive growth of the KKK .
I'm obviously talking about the 1915 movie here.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Yeah, who could ever forget that film? :

Interestingly enough, Leni Riefenstahl lived to age 101 and lived to see the 21st century. :)
I have never been able to decide how I feel about her. On one level she was a putrid piece of rubbish. On the other she gave us the template for all the wonderful Olympic games films her cinematography and innovation inspired

mark87

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Santiago de Chile
Yeah, who could ever forget that film? :

Interestingly enough, Leni Riefenstahl lived to age 101 and lived to see the 21st century. :)
A difficult situation, both films are pioneers in film history, their messages and directors however are different things altogether ethically.