What does your nations name mean

PADDYBOY

Historum Emeritas
Jan 2007
Scotland
My nation is called Scotland and is named after the Scotti. A tribe from Ireland. The word may mean raider but nobody really knows. Anyways the Scotti settled in Northern Britain following the departure of the Romans and thus my homeland is called Scotland.
What is the meaning of your countries name?

Please feel free to add the meaning of other countries names if you wish.

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
My nation is called Scotland and is named after the Scotti. A tribe from Ireland. The word may mean raider but nobody really knows. Anyways the Scotti settled in Northern Britain following the departure of the Romans and thus my homeland is called Scotland.
What is the meaning of your countries name?

Please feel free to add the meaning of other countries names if you wish.
I will start with my adopted home - Kansas

People Of The South Wind

And anyone who has been here would wholly agree lol

Jul 2019
New Jersey
Well, I'm not going to bother with my country (USA).

My State (New Jersey) was so named in honor of the island of Jersey. Sir George Carteret, one of the two early proprietors of the state (colony, to be more precise), was earlier the Royal Governor of Jersey, and under his control the island was one of the last royalist holdouts, surrendering only in 1651.

My county (Monmouth) is named after Monmouthshire, Wales (or possibly the Duke of Monmouth).

My city (Long Branch) is named that because it's situated on the "long branch" (the southern branch) of the Shrewsbury River.

Last edited:

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
It comes from the Kaw's people who were apparently a sub group of the Sioux Nation
The Kaw are not a Sioux people. They speak a language of the Siouan language family. That is an important distinction.

The Kaw Nation (or Kanza or Kansa) are a federally recognized Native American tribe in Oklahoma and parts of Kansas. They come from the central Midwestern United States. The tribe known as Kaw have also been known as the "People of the South wind",[2] "People of water", Kansa, Kaza, Kosa, and Kasa. Their tribal language is Kansa, classified as a Siouan language.[3]
Kaw people - Wikipedia

The Sioux (/suː/; Dakota: Očhéthi Šakówiŋ /otʃʰeːtʰi ʃakoːwĩ/) are groups of Native American tribes and First Nations peoples in North America. The term is an exonym created from a French transcription of the Anishinaabe term "Nadouessioux", and can refer to any ethnic group within the Great Sioux Nation or to any of the nation's many language dialects. The modern Sioux consist of two major divisions based on language divisions: the Dakota and Lakota.
Sioux - Wikipedia

The Great Sioux Nation is the traditional political structure of the Sioux in North America. The peoples who speak the Sioux language are considered to be members of the Oceti Sakowin (Očhéthi Šakówiŋ, pronounced [oˈtʃʰetʰi ʃaˈkowĩ]) or Seven Council Fires. The seven member communities are sometimes grouped into three regional/dialect sub-groups (Lakota, Western Dakota, and Eastern Dakota), but these mid-level identities are not politically institutionalized. The seven communities are all individually members of the historic confederacy. In contemporary culture, the designation is primarily a linguistic, cultural, and for some, political grouping.
Great Sioux Nation - Wikipedia

Siouan or Siouan–Catawban is a language family of North America that is located primarily in the Great Plains, Ohio and Mississippi valleys and southeastern North America with a few other languages in the east
Siouan languages - Wikipedia

A language family is a family of related languages. In Europe there are the German language family, the Romance language family, the Celtic language family, the Slavic language family, etc. And certainly each European language family includes members of many different ethnic groups. Similarly each North American language family includes members of many different ethnic groups.

You better hope that no Kaw or Sioux reads your post. If they do, they might decide to sue your, or even to "Sioux" you.

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
No ... you cannot ask this to an Italian!

No one knows with certainty what "Italia" means!

The most easy explanation? King Italo. Usually Italian historians prefer to remind this mythical king instead of facing the problem.

Now this King Italo reigned on a little portion of the peninsula, so that it's not that easy to understand why in a remote past someone decided to extend such a name to the entire present Italian territory.

Among the most incredible possibilities there is the one which says that "Italia" has got a Semitic origin from "Atalu".

In the middle there are the Viteliu and all the rest.

My impression? I'm not aware of documented records of Italia before of "Gitala" [Ruggero, 1093]. So that I do suspect that there are a lot of historical interpolations about the origin of the name of this country. It's medieval ... not Latin.

Reactions: Iraq Bruin

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
You better hope that no Kaw or Sioux reads your post. If they do, they might decide to sue your, or even to "Sioux" you.
Well unless they have refined the art of getting blood from a stone I think they would sorely disappointed in the results of their litigation :)