What does your nations name mean

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Most Italians I have spoken to would suggest the word translates to "Paradise " ;)
That's true. I live among the physical reason why the Italian peninsula is a paradise: the Alps.

Now, New York is at the latitude of Naples [40°43' - 40°51'], but in Naples temperatures never go below zero and sure it doesn't snow.
The problem of NY is that it's exposed to Northern sea cold streams and to Northern cold winds.

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
That's true. I live among the physical reason why the Italian peninsula is a paradise: the Alps.
I had a friend who grew up in the shadows of Mont Blanc. His father had been a guide on the mountain in the 50s and 60s. He used to speak of the whole area in glowing terms

Nov 2018
Denmark
Denmark in Danish Danmark. The country is named after a people called Danoi (first mentioned by Jordanes in the 600s.) probably a derivation of the Indo-European * dhen- which means something like "flat board".
In the Old Norse, the people in the genitive plural were called "danir", which may mean something like "flatlanders"
Mark "was used in Old High German and Anglo-Saxon in the meaning" borderland ".The word Danmark meant "the borderland of the flatlanders"
With Dannevirke (whose oldest parts are from around the year 500) as the visible sign of the border to the south.
The city I live in is Odense, which was first mentioned in 988, Odense is an abbreviation of Odin's Ve.
Ve meant a fenced sanctuary.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I had a friend who grew up in the shadows of Mont Blanc. His father had been a guide on the mountain in the 50s and 60s. He used to speak of the whole area in glowing terms
I'm not far ... I live under Rose Mountain.

You can go [even in summer] from this
lm1.jpeg

To this

mr.jpg

in less than a hour.

Reactions: specul8 and MG1962a
Jun 2017
maine
The meaning of my state's name is unclear. Possibilities are: 1st French (after the province of Maine in France) because the French were the first proven settlers here; 2nd after Maine, a small village on the English coastline that was home to the Gorges family; or 3rd a nautical term: the Main Land. Consensus is #3.

Jun 2017
maine
Denmark in Danish Danmark. The country is named after a people called Danoi (first mentioned by Jordanes in the 600s.) probably a derivation of the Indo-European * dhen- which means something like "flat board".
In the Old Norse, the people in the genitive plural were called "danir", which may mean something like "flatlanders"
Mark "was used in Old High German and Anglo-Saxon in the meaning" borderland ".The word Danmark meant "the borderland of the flatlanders"
With Dannevirke (whose oldest parts are from around the year 500) as the visible sign of the border to the south.
The city I live in is Odense, which was first mentioned in 988, Odense is an abbreviation of Odin's Ve.
Ve meant a fenced sanctuary.
Flatlander is the term used by people in northern New England to refer to people from southern New England (and beyond).

Do you know what JUTLAND means? More than land of the Jutes?

Nov 2018
Denmark
Flatlander is the term used by people in northern New England to refer to people from southern New England (and beyond).

Do you know what JUTLAND means? More than land of the Jutes?
Norwegians call us flatland monkeys.
The first part of Jutland comes from medieval Danish iuthær , similar to Old Norse Jotar. Maybe the same word as the Old Norse word ýtar "men".
The country of men, it makes sense.:cool:

Reactions: duncanness
Jun 2017
maine
Norwegians call us flatland monkeys.
The first part of Jutland comes from medieval Danish iuthær , similar to Old Norse Jotar. Maybe the same word as the Old Norse word ýtar "men".
The country of men, it makes sense.:cool:
Thank you. It does make sense. But that's rather unkind of the Norwegians :angry: and I'll bet that the Dames like it no more than those from Massachusetts do when they hear it.

Reactions: Runa