What does your nations name mean

Mar 2012
Magdeburg
Türkiye means "land of the Turks" and originates from Medieval Byzantine "Tourkia", which referred to two political entities: Kingdom of Hungary in west and Khazar Khaganate in east.

I was born in a city called Artvin on the Georgian borders, according to the Turkish sources it originates from a Scythian warlord, of possible Georgian origin (other name of thr city is Liva or Livane)

Aug 2014
Portugal
I think I already posted this in other thread:

“Portugal”, the County of Portugal, comes from the county of “Portucale”, “Portus cale”, the Port of “Cale”.

“Cale” evolved to today’s Gaia: Vila Nova de Gaia - Wikipedia

The “Port” is Porto (Oporto): Porto - Wikipedia
I remember an archaeology professor talking about the possibility of " Portus Callaici" as the original name: Port of the Callaici, Gallaici, Etc. As you know, a confederation of pre Roman people who inhabited NW Iberian peninsula.

I don't know if he ever published anything about it though.

If that's true then we share our name with Galicians.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I remember an archaeology professor talking about the possibility of " Portus Callaici" as the original name: Port of the Callaici, Gallaici, Etc. As you know, a confederation of pre Roman people who inhabited NW Iberian peninsula.

I don't know if he ever published anything about it though.

If that's true then we share our name with Galicians.
Well, the Portuguese and the Galicians were the same people, Galician-Portuguese speakers, only divided by political motifs. First the differences between the archdioceses of Braga and Santiago de Compostela, then the kingdoms of Portugal and Leon, later Portugal and Castile.

I also heard of "Portus Callaici", it is a possibility, but I have the idea that the one I posted previously is more consensual.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
My country is called “the United States of America. We are named after “Amerigo (?) Verspucci” who, as far as I can tell, Did travel to both North and South America, although I have not yet found descriptions of what he saw when (and where?) he landed. Anyway, the German mapmaker affixed Vespucci’s first name to his map and the rest is history. There were quite a few folks at the time who resented naming the new discovery after Vespucci, but by then it was apparently already too late.

The continent in which the US is located is called North America and this includes Canada to the North and Mexico to the South. Technically, Mexico is part of North America and is part of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) zone which has lately been modified somewhat by the current president.

I’m told that some South Americans are upset that the US is often called “America”, but then the US is the only country that has “America” as part of its official name. Those South American countries all have names of their own.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
My country is called “the United States of America. We are named after “Amerigo (?) Verspucci” who, as far as I can tell, Did travel to both North and South America, although I have not yet found descriptions of what he saw when (and where?) he landed. Anyway, the German mapmaker affixed Vespucci’s first name to his map and the rest is history. There were quite a few folks at the time who resented naming the new discovery after Vespucci, but by then it was apparently already too late.

The continent in which the US is located is called North America and this includes Canada to the North and Mexico to the South. Technically, Mexico is part of North America and is part of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) zone which has lately been modified somewhat by the current president.

I’m told that some South Americans are upset that the US is often called “America”, but then the US is the only country that has “America” as part of its official name. Those South American countries all have names of their own.
Vespucci worked both for the Portuguese and the Castilians, passing information to Florence. At least one of his letters to Lorenzo di Medici is available online, don’t know if in English.

And in many countries, America is the all continent, so its inhabitants are called Americans, and the people from the USA have other denonyms. This is falling due to the influence of the English in the world, and more and more “American” is synonymous of a person from the USA.

EDIT: The Letters of Amerigo Vespucci, and Other Documents Illustrative of His Career

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Vespucci worked both for the Portuguese and the Castilians, passing information to Florence. At least one of his letters to Lorenzo di Medici is available online, don’t know if in English.

And in many countries, America is the all continent, so its inhabitants are called Americans, and the people from the USA have other denonyms. This is falling due to the influence of the English in the world, and more and more “American” is synonymous of a person from the USA.

EDIT: The Letters of Amerigo Vespucci, and Other Documents Illustrative of His Career
I think it has more to do with the fact that most countries have never referred to South America as America. It was the West-Indies to us for example.

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
I think I already posted this in other thread:

“Portugal”, the County of Portugal, comes from the county of “Portucale”, “Portus cale”, the Port of “Cale”.

“Cale” evolved to today’s Gaia: Vila Nova de Gaia - Wikipedia

The “Port” is Porto (Oporto): Porto - Wikipedia
I think i mentioned it but still / I do know that the Turkish word for orange (the fruit) is portokal, in Greek it's portokali, and in my own native Bulgarian - portokal ( both transliteration from Greek and Cyrillic alphabet). The names of the fruit in Arabic and Farsi sound very similar. I presume Ottomans took the name of the fruit from Arabic and thus the presence of Ottoman Turkish loanwords (i suppose there are such) in modern Greek and Bulgarian languages. Just an oddity / an interesting observation. EDIT: oh, the Romanian word is portocal / apparently all Romance languages as true descendants of the Latin detest with passion letter K :)

Last edited:

Offspring

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
România
I think i mentioned it but still / I do know that the Turkish word for orange (the fruit) is portokal, in Greek it's portokali, and in my own native Bulgarian - portokal ( both transliteration from Greek and Cyrillic alphabet). The names of the fruit in Arabic and Farsi sound very similar. I presume Ottomans took the name of the fruit from Arabic and thus the presence of Ottoman Turkish loanwords (i suppose there are such) in modern Greek and Bulgarian languages. Just an oddity / an interesting observation. EDIT: oh, the Romanian word is portocal / apparently all Romance languages as true descendants of the Latin detest with passion letter K :)
I googled when I saw "portucale", because the Romanian word for oranges is "portocale" (and it's sometimes -rarely- mispronounced "portucale").
Borrowed from Greek πορτοκάλι (portokáli), from Venetian portogallo.
After Portogallo (“Portugal”), from its being the source.

Also, the word for the colour orange is "portocaliu". Is "orange" (the colour) only "oranzhev" in Bulgarian?

Reactions: At Each Kilometer