What effect did the Sun Belt's political conservatism have on its population growth?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I know that the Sun Belt in the U.S. experienced a massive population boom after the end of World War II:

Sun Belt - Wikipedia

What I am curious about is this--how much of a role did the Sun Belt's political conservatism have in this migration? For instance, did a lot of businesses relocate to the Sun Belt because of the lower amount of regulations there?

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Fewer regulations and also weaker (almost non-existent) unions in the south. California, if any different than the country at large, probably has more regulations.

Migration to the south didn't really begin until the 1970s. California started to boom a few decades earlier, post WW2. I would also clarify that the American south is very conservative, but the sun belt also includes places like Arizona, California, and Hawaii which have different political dynamics than the south.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Fewer regulations and also weaker (almost non-existent) unions in the south. California, if any different than the country at large, probably has more regulations.

Migration to the south didn't really begin until the 1970s. California started to boom a few decades earlier, post WW2. I would also clarify that the American south is very conservative, but the sun belt also includes places like Arizona, California, and Hawaii which have different political dynamics than the south.
Why did California experience a population boom?

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
During the war many soldiers and sailors passed through California on their way to the Pacific or coming back home afterwards. They noted the climate and maybe some economic opportunities. California has many military bases and defense contractors. Military spending was much higher after the war than before. That new invention television really fueled the economy around Hollywood. Movies remained popular and LA captured some of the recording industry that profited from Rock and Roll. Agriculturally, some of the irrigation projects of the New Deal began to pay off. The Imperial Valley benefitted from the Imperial Dam on the Colorado River completed in 1942. Another irrigation project was the Central Valley Project that started in the 1930s. Immigration often provided cheap labor. California was more receptive to immigration than some other parts of the country. California also benefitted from the maturation of air conditioning technology.