What factors led to China re-unifying multiple times throughout history while "Europe" failed to do so after Charlemagne?

Sep 2016
天下
As to the Yang Tze river, I am not sure what you mean exactly. However I can explain one of the big problems I have with Chinese history (and culture). Here we have a tendency to "Dutchify" geographical names (ie Paris-->Parijs). With Chinese that obviously gives some problems, so we get all kinds of variations on the same name. I think we now follow the standard (English) ones, but I am not sure. So for the Yang Tze I have seen the following in serious books I read throughout the years:
-Yang Tze
-Jang Tse Kiang
-Yangtse
-Jangtse Kiang
And I probably left some other variations out
He means that in Chinese different sections of rivers have different names. In Chinese Yangzi is a name of just part of the river, near the outlet to the ocean. The section in Sichuan is called Chuan Jiang, the section in Hubei is called Jing Jiang etc.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
He means that in Chinese different sections of rivers have different names. In Chinese Yangzi is a name of just part of the river, near the outlet to the ocean. The section in Sichuan is called Chuan Jiang, the section in Hubei is called Jing Jiang etc.
Aha. That explains it.
Thanks.

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
thanks

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
First I thought this was really odd, but then I realized I lived at the point where the "Rhine" changes name into "Lek"