What happend to the Celts in Southern Germany, Switzerland etc?

Jul 2014
Yes
Did the Germanics from the north chased them away, assimilate them or just totally crushed them?

Sep 2015
Romania
They mostly got assimilated.

We're not allowed with genetics on this site but what I can tell you is that the people there are biologically largely the same that were there before the germanic expansion.

Same happened to most of the latins.

Jan 2011
FRANCE

We're not allowed with genetics on this site but what I can tell you is that the people there are biologically largely the same that were there before the germanic expansion.

Basically yes. But some emigrated at least between the 6th and 3rd centuries BC: Belgae, Arecomici, Volcae, Boii... (and some tried too: Helvetii).

Apr 2016
Alabama

Yes, there are a few instances where Celtics were slaughtered by the germanic. They were largely assimilated into the culture.

I did not know that about this site. It would prove the point being made but oh well.

Sep 2015
Romania
Basically yes. But some emigrated at least between the 6th and 3rd centuries BC: Belgae, Arecomici, Volcae, Boii... (and some tried too: Helvetii).
Yes, and some (pre-germanics) survived, becoming italians, french and reto-romans.

Last edited:
Sep 2015
Romania
Yes, there are a few instances where Celtics were slaughtered by the germanic. They were largely assimilated into the culture.
Yeah. Not to mention that celts (not sure if all did) used to go with war with their whole people, young and old, everything or nothing, and losing the battle would result in them all being ''taken''.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Celts aren't an ethnic group.
So I think the Germanic Swiss were decendents the Celtic Swiss who were descendents of the Bronze Age pre Celtic Swiss. A little fresh blood and a change in power and language.

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Regarding switzerland an interesting fact i learnt a couple years ago is that romanians call this country elvetia, pretty close to states latin name helvetica, which is state's latin name derived from the helvetii, a celtic tribe living there before the rise of roma. I found this interesting because all other romance languages adopted german word (svizzera, suiza etc)

Last edited:
Sep 2015
Romania
the Celtic Swiss who were descendents of the Bronze Age pre Celtic Swiss.

More from the western indo-european conquerors who consistently managed to have more offsprings (even having 2 children while the other group has 1 will eventually lead to a total take-over).

Sep 2015
Romania
Regarding switzerland an interesting fact i learnt a couple years ago is that romanians call this country elvetia, pretty close to states latin name helvetica, which is state's latin name derived from the helvetii, a celtic tribe living there before the rise of roma. I found this interesting because all other romance languages adopted german word (svizzera, suiza etc)
Interesting; What name do the slavs use for it?