What happend with British science from 1870s - 1945?

pikeshot1600

Ad Honoris
Jul 2009
That comment sounds like a BNP-voter
The comments you have posted here sound like a nationalist agenda hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet. The suspicion would be that you have nothing better to offer.

Want to try again with something productive?

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomasa298
The point being that if your aim was to show how wonderful Hungarian science was, why didn't you just make that plain in the first place?

If your aim had really been to show the decline of British science, you could have used any other country as a comparison.

Unless this is just an anti-British thread.

I'm still trying to work this out, why does that comment - which is aimed against a nationalistic approach in questions like this - make Naomasa sound like a supporter of an extreme right nationalist party?

May 2009
New Jersey
Fvar did the same thing with the "what was the most powerful country in 1000-1500?" thread. He should of just named it "The history of Hungary during the middle ages"

Anyways on topic The British invented the light bulb in the 1870s.

Feb 2011
Fvar did the same thing with the "what was the most powerful country in 1000-1500?" thread. He should of just named it "The history of Hungary during the middle ages"

Anyways on topic The British invented the light bulb in the 1870s.
What? The real light bulb which was used from 1900-1990's was the tungsten bulb. Tungsten bulb was invented by Hungarians in Tungsram Corporation of Budapest. Many countries call the light-bulbs as tungstram until this day. Before the tungsten bulb, the lifespam of weak-dark bulbs was around 70 hours (hundred) Tunsten Bulbs have 3000 hours lifespan :)

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_bulb]Incandescent light bulb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

The Tungsram was always proud that they invented the "real" l.bulbs. Here is their poster from 1910

jungleplanewreck

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
England.
I agree with you! I mean, how dare you ask someone if they are creating an anti-british thread. Nomassa, you clearly vote for a racist, islamophobic, homophobic, fascist party. :rolleyes: Oh wait, if I just used some logic.. I'd reach a different conclusion.

Anyone who defends Britain is a BNP voter, according to some people.
Exactly.

The OP clearly set out with the agenda to start a nationalistic thread, shrouding it behind the pretense that a discussion of British Science was on the table. If you wanted to talk about Hungary's scientific achievements, you should have started a thread about it; not atempted to hide behind your nationalist mask.

jungleplanewreck

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
England.
What? The real light bulb which was used from 1900-1990's was the tungsten bulb. Tungsten bulb was invented by Hungarians in Tungsram Corporation of Budapest. Many countries call the light-bulbs as tungstram until this day. Before the tungsten bulb, the lifespam of weak-dark bulbs was around 70 hours (hundred) Tunsten Bulbs have 3000 hours lifespan :)

Incandescent light bulb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What part of that "Wikipedia" article says that the Hungarians ran the show?

May 2009
New Jersey

Incandescent light bulb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Tungsram was always proud that they invented the "real" l.bulbs. Here is their poster from 1910
Yes the British invented something and the Hungarians improved upon it.

Oh now that I looked at your link. I guess we can't count this because it says that the light bulb was invented in the early 1800s, still by a Brit though.

Feb 2011
On December 13, 1904, Hungarian Sándor Just and Croatian Franjo Hanaman were granted a Hungarian patent (No. 34541) for a tungsten filament lamp, that lasted longer and gave a brighter light than the carbon filament. Tungsten filament lamps were first marketed by the Hungarian company Tungsram in 1905, so this type is often called Tungsram-bulbs in many European countries.[31]

In 1930, Hungarian Imre Bródy filled lamps with krypton gas in lieu of argon. He used krypton and/or xenon filling of bulbs. Since the new gas was expensive, he developed a process with his colleagues to obtain krypton from air. Production of krypton filled lamps based on his invention started at Ajka in 1937, in a factory co-designed by Polányi and Hungarian-born physicist Egon Orowan.

The l.bulb as we know it, was invented patented and developed by Hungarian TUNGSRAM

Don't forget we invented the dynamo, the first transformers first watthourmeters and the parallel connection of electrical networks.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer"]Transformer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

READ ABOUT FASCINATING GANZ COMPANY (the Tungsram was its subsidiary) [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganz"]Ganz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]