What happend with British science from 1870s - 1945?

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
You just have to find something in the chain of events that has been done by someone of your ethnicity that then later led to an invention, and voila... your country invented "x".
That's about it, and it's true of scientific research generally, it is a co-operative enterprise that transcends borders. Individual scientists, moreover, often pass from one country to another. Quite the silliest subject to start a nationalistic thread on. It is distasteful, moreover, to try to extol the achievements of one's own country by running down those of another.

May 2009
New Jersey
Another British scientist:
Frank Whittle independently developed the turbo jet engine during WW2. He is regarded as the farther of jet propulsion.

I don't know who invented it but the first military purpose tank was used by the British. I know that other people like DaVinci had ideas for large armored vehicles with firearms attached, but the British were first to use it in a practical sense.

Found another one John Logie Baird engineer and inventor of the worlds first first practical, publicly demonstrated television system, and also the world's first fully electronic color television tube.

All 3 of these coincide with the dates the OP set.

And yet another one this is quite funny
Alan Turning is widely regarded to be the father of modern computer science. In 1936 Turing provided an influential formalization of the concept of the algorithm and computation with the Turing machine, provided a blueprint for the electronic digital computer.

You just have to find something in the chain of events that has been done by someone of your ethnicity that then later led to an invention, and voila... your country invented "x".
This needs to be quoted again, it speaks volumes.

Last edited:

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
I think there was a decline of the scientific, engineering, technological position of Britain during the period. But some of the prominence of Britain the 19th century came about because of Britain's early lead in the Industrial revolution. As other Nations Industrialized Britain lost much of the advantage it had in technological development and science. It wasn't that British science and technology slacked off or got worse. It was that the factors that gave Britain an edge were being removed as other nations developed (caught up). Industrially Britain got caught out in some ways from having too much invested in early adoptions of technology while late adopters were able to invest cheaper in later and better technology. It's all rather natural there is no real reason for Britain's advantages in the 19th century being long lived, the decline in it's advantages was all rather natural.

Apr 2009
The upper stages of lower life
The bicycle, Vaseline, telephone, public electricity, nuclear physics, isotopes, vitamins, electrons, aircraft carriers, x-ray spectrometer, steam turbine, jet plane, penicillin, neutron, and stereophonic recordings all came out of this era.

Spartacuss

Ad Honorem
Jul 2010
Georgia, USA
I get the impression that British scientific societies had a rather stiffeling effect to a degree. There seemed to be a fairly rapid rate of advancement in discoveries that had to be vetted by reviews conducted by committees of the subject discipline. Some discoveries that disproved or modified long held practice were met with harsh critisizm and outright hostility by such committees or academy review. Often, the academies of other nations would validate the advances and the effects would be felt on their industries, agriculture, medical community and such much faster and thereby putting Britain at a disadvantage. This is not the predominate cause of the decline, but it had to be a factor.

Edit: I speak of the state of scientific affairs in Britain in the late 19th. Government and business involvement helped spur a strong comeback for Britain in the 1930's.

Feb 2011
Another British scientist:
Frank Whittle independently developed the turbo jet engine during WW2. He is regarded as the farther of jet propulsion.

I don't know who invented it but the first military purpose tank was used by the British. I know that other people like DaVinci had ideas for large armored vehicles with firearms attached, but the British were first to use it in a practical sense.

Found another one John Logie Baird engineer and inventor of the worlds first first practical, publicly demonstrated television system, and also the world's first fully electronic color television tube.

All 3 of these coincide with the dates the OP set.

And yet another one this is quite funny
Alan Turning is widely regarded to be the father of modern computer science. In 1936 Turing provided an influential formalization of the concept of the algorithm and computation with the Turing machine, provided a blueprint for the electronic digital computer.

This needs to be quoted again, it speaks volumes.
electronic TV and mechanic TV were very different. Mechanical TV is not ancestor of electronic TV.

Electronic TV and camera (1924), together with charge storage was Invented by Kálmán Tihanyi, in 1936 he invented the plasma TV.

Read the UNESCO PAGE: United Nations (MEMORY OF THE WORLD)

Kalman Tihanyi’s 1926 Patent Application Radioskop

Last edited: