What happened to ancient North Africans?

Feb 2015
France
Sorry for my ignorance cuz I'm a bit of noob regarding the history of ancient people.

My question is: Before Arab conquest of MENA regions the people who lived there, what happened to them? Were those people eventually replaced/killed off by Arabs?
I mean who lived in modern day Iraq and Syria before Arabs? Were they European looking? Did they resemble Romans in appereance? etc.

Thanks.

Mar 2014
Canterbury
My question is: Before Arab conquest of MENA regions the people who lived there, what happened to them? Were those people eventually replaced/killed off by Arabs?
They're still there, both as 'descendants of' and self-identified Berbers. It took the caliphs, then emerging local dynasties, centuries to properly Islamicise the region.

Jan 2014
Florida
Sorry for my ignorance cuz I'm a bit of noob regarding the history of ancient people.

My question is: Before Arab conquest of MENA regions the people who lived there, what happened to them?
At the time of the Arab conquest, North Africa was on the coast inhabited mostly by Romanized natives. Especially in the Western part in the Vandalic Kingdom, there were barbarian influences as well. Their descendants still inhabit North Africa to this day. Inland lived raiding tribes such as the Garamantines, who are the ancestors of the modern day Berbers and Bedouins.

Were those people eventually replaced/killed off by Arabs?
No, they were assimilated by the Arabs.

I mean who lived in modern day Iraq and Syria before Arabs?
A mixed Greco-Native culture inhabited Syria before the Arabs. After centuries under Roman and Greek rules, these peoples were heavily Hellenized. Iraq was more Persian, being mostly controlled first by the Parthian and then the Sassanid Empires.

Were they European looking? Did they resemble Romans in appereance? etc.

Thanks.
Few, if any of the native inhabitants of the region would look European. They were either descended from natives or very far removed from native Greeks after generations of interbreeding. However, these regions did have significant trade, so there would have been many European traders living there, along with soldiers and administrators.

Feb 2015
France
At the time of the Arab conquest, North Africa was on the coast inhabited mostly by Romanized natives. Especially in the Western part in the Vandalic Kingdom, there were barbarian influences as well. Their descendants still inhabit North Africa to this day. Inland lived raiding tribes such as the Garamantines, who are the ancestors of the modern day Berbers and Bedouins.

No, they were assimilated by the Arabs.

A mixed Greco-Native culture inhabited Syria before the Arabs. After centuries under Roman and Greek rules, these peoples were heavily Hellenized. Iraq was more Persian, being mostly controlled first by the Parthian and then the Sassanid Empires.

Few, if any of the native inhabitants of the region would look European. They were either descended from natives or very far removed from native Greeks after generations of interbreeding. However, these regions did have significant trade, so there would have been many European traders living there, along with soldiers and administrators.
Interesting.

So these Berber people are the one who built Pyramids, right?

Edit: And another question: You said that Iraq were inhabited by persian. Then why so many Arabs today in modern Iraq? And If Ancient persians admixed with arabs which resulted in modern day Iraqi people than why are they considered Arabs?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jan 2014
Florida
Interesting.

No, the Ancient Egyptians built the Pyramids. They were a sedentary culture which could invest the manpower and resources into building the Pyramids. The Berbers and their ancestor were and still are nomads who could never build the Pyramids.

Edit: And another question: You said that Iraq were inhabited by persian. Then why so many Arabs today in modern Iraq? And If Ancient persians admixed with arabs which resulted in modern day Iraqi people than why are they considered Arabs?

Thanks in advance.
There has been quite a lot of cultural assimilation and interaction that has produced an Arab culture in Iraq in the approximately 1300 since the Islamic conquest.

Feb 2015
France
No, the Ancient Egyptians built the Pyramids. They were a sedentary culture which could invest the manpower and resources into building the Pyramids. The Berbers and their ancestor were and still are nomads who could never build the Pyramids.

There has been quite a lot of cultural assimilation and interaction that has produced an Arab culture in Iraq in the approximately 1300 since the Islamic conquest.
Okay. So who built pyramids? Are their descendants still alive?

Jul 2014
Yes
Interesting.

Thanks in advance.
I suggest you do a little more research even on Wikipedia. All North African speaking countries have just begun speaking Arabic, they're ofcourse natives such as Berbers.

Genetically there is almost no true Arabic or Indo-European influence in North Africa. Same goes mostly for the Levant (Lebanon, Jordan, Syria etc.) Mesopotamia (Iraq) was heavily influenced by Persians. But Iraqi's mostly aren't true Arabs but some bedouins lived there.

True Arabs live in the desert regions of Saudi and the Gulf, they are Bedouins and of the Afro-Arabic race.

Many associate being Arabic because solely of the Arab language, which is false ofcourse.

Jul 2014
Yes
The Berber people have almost no idendity anymore as most speak Arabic and think they descended from Arabs from Middle East.

Mar 2013
Texas, USA
I suggest you do a little more research even on Wikipedia. All North African speaking countries have just begun speaking Arabic, they're ofcourse natives such as Berbers.

Genetically there is almost no true Arabic or Indo-European influence in North Africa. Same goes mostly for the Levant (Lebanon, Jordan, Syria etc.) Mesopotamia (Iraq) was heavily influenced by Persians. But Iraqi's mostly aren't true Arabs but some bedouins lived there.

True Arabs live in the desert regions of Saudi and the Gulf, they are Bedouins and of the Afro-Arabic race.

Many associate being Arabic because solely of the Arab language, which is false ofcourse.
Wrong, the Arabs of Iraq claim to be descendants to the Arabs which conquered the area.
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_tribes_in_Iraq"]Arab Tribes of Iraq[/ame]

The Bedouin are an Arab culture, those living in deserts of Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and other places, who live quasi-nomadic lives moving from oasis to oasis. Most Arabs don't live this way, they've settled in population centers and near whatever fertile areas they could have.