What happened to draft dodgers during the Vietnam War?

Aug 2012
I assume that if someone wanted to duck the draft they had to flee the US, so suppose someone did that, would they be safe in say Canada, or were there people looking for draft dodgers there?

Assuming a guy successfully escaped to some safe place, is he at that point permanently banished from the US? Does he face prosecution when he comes back even after the war had ended or is there some kind of statute of limitations and if so, how long?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Something similar happened in Portugal, for those who fled (mostly to France) to escape the military service during the Colonial War.

With the fall of the regime, in 1974, and the independence of the colonies, all could return to Portugal after an amnesty in 1976 (I think!). They were probably more than 8000 men.

Zip

Jan 2018
San Antonio
People with influence could get in the National Guard, which didn't fight. Now that we no longer have a draft the National Guard fights.

Jun 2019
USA
Elected p resident?
Or like Joe Biden. Besides the Student/educational Deferments, also had a Doctor sign off that he had asthma.

Didn't effect him in being a Lifeguard or Football player.

Rich kids got better excuses than middle class or poor kids. Surprised? I'm not

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
People with influence could get in the National Guard, which didn't fight. Now that we no longer have a draft the National Guard fights.
Like fighter pilot in the Texas National Guard defending against a Mexican invasion.

Zip

Jan 2018
San Antonio
Like fighter pilot in the Texas National Guard defending against a Mexican invasion.
Let's give credit where due, he was also defending Texas against the Comanche and Kiowa up there in Oklahoma. I was up there at the museum in Lawton a few weeks ago, things were quiet. Too quiet.

EEAD61D4-8739-482D-905C-EB2591FE5B85.jpeg

Last edited:

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
They have a chapel at Harvard with a list of Harvard men KIA. There are whole walls of names from the Civil War and WWII, but only a short list from Vietnam.