What happened to draft dodgers during the Vietnam War?

Feb 2012
New York City
I like the song and CCR. It doesn't mention Vietnam or the draft, and I didn't realize that was what it was about.
It may be about the general inequality of the classes but the time it was written along with some of the lyrics as well as some comments he made later on make the draft connection pretty clear. The song was quickly embraced by the anti-war movement in any case.

Aug 2012
The only popular song that dealt with the class issues of the war.

Unfortunately John Fogerty is such an incredible ******* I no longer enjoy listening to CCR; listening just makes me think about what a jerk he is.
Can you explain the class issues?

I assume it's what some have already hinted at, rich folks had ways to duck the draft, but was that something that was happening systematically, or was it just isolated cases of people who happened to have high powered political connections?

I can't imagine it was something that wide spread.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
There was more than one way to avoid the draft without having to flee the country: 1) Join the Peace Corps which results in a 2-year deferment; 2) join the “AmeriCorps” (or something like this) which is/was a domestic peace corps. Don’t know if this still exists. 3) join the National Guard (not everyone could get in); 4) have an “essential skill” working for an “essential industry”, such as petroleum engineer (degree and employment verification); 5) being “too tall” or “too small”, or maybe too fat, LOL. 6) ...other

For those who fled to Canada, the government was not eager to prosecute them because there were so many who crossed the border into Canada. What I know of this is that at least some were offered the opportunity to return if they agreed to join and train with a military unit; in other words, agree to serve in Vietnam.