What happened to the 4 hour work day predicted by Keynes?

Oct 2009
San Diego
keynes made the mistake of thinking the trend toward labor movements and greater democracy would continue.

For a good long while it did- but then Reagan and the ownership elite managed to convince Americans that Supply Side economics was a better idea- and that Idea spread to europe.
The result was the last 40 years of conservative ideology driving ever greater economic inequality.

We are sliding back into the dire imbecility that prevailed before keynes' time. And THAT period handed us the communist revolutions and labor riots.

Keynes believed in progress.

He could not fathom that people would actively choose to regress.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
The question was answered by showing the volume of money now flooding into election campaigns that does not disclose it sources, means, or goals and the cost of advertising is consequently rising as more money comes in. Basic limited supply vs rising demand during campaign season. This means candidates to be effective have to raise even more money... and where do they have to turn to get that money? Basically it makes small donation campaigns unworkable in almost all but a few national elections where a candidate goes 'viral' but is far from the regular means of running for and winning office.

Framing the question as what speech was restricted prior to the Citizens United decision is also an interesting question. The Court never stated speech was restricted but merely that it could theoretically be restricted if campaign finance laws were ever extended so acted pre-emptively to equate free speech with the ability to spend money. Granted the Constitution is a document made to protect the wealthy classes but the Court isn't normally showing that so explicitly because it makes people without wealth question the fairness of the system even more than they already do.

Students and Professors can say whatever they want on campus and then have to choose how to deal with the repercussions from fellow students and faculty. The government is not imposing limits on speech on campus. Not sure what that has to do with Supreme Court decisions on campaign finance reform and the validity of the U.S. electoral system.
You still haven’t answered my question. In fact, you’ve demonstrated the reverse of your proposition by showing that money has been flooding into elections with the result that there are ever more campaign advertisements.

« Small campaign donations unworkable? Then why is my e-mail flooded with requests for campaign contributions? My wife even got a text yesterday asking for a small contribution.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
You still haven’t answered my question. In fact, you’ve demonstrated the reverse of your proposition by showing that money has been flooding into elections with the result that there are ever more campaign advertisements.

« Small campaign donations unworkable? Then why is my e-mail flooded with requests for campaign contributions? My wife even got a text yesterday asking for a small contribution.
Where did I show more campaign advertisements? I showed increasing spending on campaign advertisements which there is a limited supply of as screentime/eyeballs as voters are a finite resource vs the rapidly increased campaign spending.

There has been no nationwide candidate that raised more money from small donations in the last 30 years, Trump and Bernie came closest with over 50% of their own campaign donations raised from small donors but that is up against 2.1 billion spent by outside groups 'not affiliated' with the candidates which changes the proportion to around 1/3 which was record-breaking or individual campaign donations for the last 30 years and yet that still represents several million citizens outspent more than 2 to 1.

Jun 2017
Connecticut
What happened to the 4 hour workday predicted by Keynes as a consequence of technology enabling more leisure time for workers? It seems that in the US, your white collar office worker works more than his counterpart in the 60s, and the only place where this prediction seems to approximate reality is in Northwestern continental Europe.
This is largely because of a culture where work and suffering is seen as a badge of honor(at least among the lower classes). I call it nationwide stockholm syndrome. I have no doubt a 4 hour week or no work week at all(for most people anyway) is inherent but political and social factors have contributed to this going awry.