What happened to the 4 hour work day predicted by Keynes?

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Observation of society. Junk mail. The vast array of Junk products. Bottled water. the Production of crappy products that simply fall apart and will not last even of they were really deseribale in teh first place, remeber that the constant proprganda and indoctrination that constantly urges and brainwashes people to consume form cradle to the grave.

Ok divide all tje jobs into two catergories, those actually connected with the production and distrubution of goods and services. The ot\her is everythiung connected with ecnomics, these are thr overheads of the capitalists system.
Returning to your original allegation re useless jobs: unlike governments, the owners of businesses ( or « capitalists ») want to hire as few people as necessary to make the most money (« profit »). That’s one standard criticism of capitalism, and it has some validity. But to charge that businesses create useless jobs flies in the face of that criticism. Governments create useless jobs because they don’t have any economic goals.

Unless you mean « useless jobs » to be those producing things you don’t like, e.g.junk e-mail, bottled water, etc. There are lots of products I don’t like—I don’t get the point of bottled water in developed societies where drinking water is safe, but other people do. So you and I have a very simple remedy: just don’t buy the products you don’t like, install spam filters on your E-mail and ad blockers on your computer, and quit watching television. And you could go farther and launch an advertising campaign to stop people from consuming things you don’t like, such as plastic drinking straws which are already under attack in the US. But why should you care how people want to spend their money?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
That would be the government. Where do you get such erroneous ideas about capitalism?
I have personal knowledge about somebody who worked for a local government. There was literally 1.5 to 2 workers for every position, since workers were often off the job up to 3 months a year, with vacation, personal and official holidays. Since the taxpayers cover the cost of the employee, almost every request for an additional employee was approved by the the government officials who decided such things.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Returning to your original allegation re useless jobs: unlike governments, the owners of businesses ( or « capitalists ») want to hire as few people as necessary to make the most money (« profit »). That’s one standard criticism of capitalism, and it has some validity. But to charge that businesses create useless jobs flies in the face of that criticism. Governments create useless jobs because they don’t have any economic goals.
There is no guarantee that profitable business is not useless.

Usefulness is not a function of economic goals.

Unless you mean « useless jobs » to be those producing things you don’t like, e.g.junk e-mail, bottled water, etc. There are lots of products I don’t like—I don’t get the point of bottled water in developed societies where drinking water is safe, but other people do. So you and I have a very simple remedy: just don’t buy the products you don’t like, install spam filters on your E-mail and ad blockers on your computer, and quit watching television. And you could go farther and launch an advertising campaign to stop people from consuming things you don’t like, such as plastic drinking straws which are already under attack in the US. But why should you care how people want to spend their money?
Bottled water is objectivelly useless. It's not a matter of opinion.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
Keynes never could have predicted the high percentage of today's population that isn't working at all. In Keyne's day there were over fifty workers for every pension/benefit recipient. Now there are three. In a few years it will be two. If the percentage of the population in the workforce today were as high as it was in Keynes' day, the average workday would be a lot less than four hours.
Well lol. Be happy that you live in a country with 3 workers per one recipient. We are having a third of our population in a retirement and employed: retired ratio 1.3 : 1.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Keynes never could have predicted the high percentage of today's population that isn't working at all. In Keyne's day there were over fifty workers for every pension/benefit recipient. Now there are three. In a few years it will be two. If the percentage of the population in the workforce today were as high as it was in Keynes' day, the average workday would be a lot less than four hours.
The reason my workday is max 4 hours is ...... my back ruined from a collection of hospital work, motorcycle accidents and being silly , that's all I can manage .

Yikes ! Quick, get more young Asian workers down here to keep my pension payments going !

We will have plenty of jobs here for them - I get one of them cute Asian girls serving me and taking me shopping - hoo-boy ! ...

OH DAMN !

1553724954522.png

.... some ex-dolebludger from Penrith .

Aug 2014
Australia
Well lol. Be happy that you live in a country with 3 workers per one recipient. We are having a third of our population in a retirement and employed: retired ratio 1.3 : 1.
Ouch. So how is Slovenia funding this? It looks like your Government Gross Debt has been falling since 2015.

Mar 2016
Australia
Oh right anyone having any criticism of current capitalism MUST be advocating Soviet Russia or red China.

MASSIVE strawmen distraction to not actually address anything of substance.

Throw some personal abuse..

Have you got a problem with actually discussing anything of substance?
Care to rebut any of my points about capitalism not being unique in having these features you listed, or do you just want to act insulted and play the victim?