What happened to the 4 hour work day predicted by Keynes?

Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
Anyone who has had a serious job in a private company--senior management that is, or has been self-employed could only dream of a 40-hour week--or a 37.5 for that matter. Last year a Harvard study of 27 of their alumni who were CEOs of major corporations showed that they averaged 62.5 hours a week including 79 percent of weekend days at an average of 3.9 hours daily, and 70 percent of vacation days. That sounds modest to me and probably doesn't include travel and commute time.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Anyone who has had a serious job in a private company--senior management that is, or has been self-employed could only dream of a 40-hour week--or a 37.5 for that matter. Last year a Harvard study of 27 of their alumni who were CEOs of major corporations showed that they averaged 62.5 hours a week including 79 percent of weekend days at an average of 3.9 hours daily, and 70 percent of vacation days. That sounds modest to me and probably doesn't include travel and commute time.

Some of these are the 1% that the left is complaining about. Others are doctors who work much more than that, music stars like Gaga and Rihanna, athletes, etc. I suspect all those people work much more than that too.

Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
"I would guess" is hardly proof. What psychological experiments? Ridiculous.
Maslow's hierarchy and ideas developed from it remain a fundamental part of both industrial psychology and psychographics--it's in chapter one of most Marketing textbooks. You will find plenty of references in the footnotes of the Wikipedia entry, which you could have looked up yourself.

Dec 2018
North Dublin
Maslow's hierarchy and ideas developed from it remain a fundamental part of both industrial psychology and psychographics--it's in chapter one of most Marketing textbooks. You will find plenty of references in the footnotes of the Wikipedia entry, which you could have looked up yourself.
This is all avoiding the point of whether it actually makes sense or not. You are appealing to an authority because you cannot think for yourselves. Is the point of life material acquisition or not? I do not think it is.

Dec 2018
North Dublin
Society cannot help you. You can only help yourself & I do not mean that on a material level. Of course society can give you food & shelter, but to what end? Real progress is inward, not outward & only you yourself can improve that.

Similar History Discussions