What happened to women from harem captured by christian force

Mar 2019
Belgium
I know, it's a very strange question but I m curious.

In Spain, Greece, Portugal, Sicily, balkan where muslims had a once a large military presence, the high dignitaries (sultan, generals, vizir, etc...) generally brought with them their harem. And I've read that after the defeat of the turks in Hungary during the war of 1682-1699, christian forces captured the sultan's harem. I discovered the same thing happened during the reconquista. And I wanted to know what happened to these women? Are there books which talk or make mention of this? Because I imagine that there were not only European women (captured during muslim raid in European coast) but also more exotic women (African, middle eastern,...)

Mar 2016
Australia
Probably what typically happened to women in a town or city that was taken by storm by soldiers? I doubt their status as being part of a harem would change that.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
Probably what typically happened to women in a town or city that was taken by storm by soldiers? I doubt their status as being part of a harem would change that.
High level captives were not typically raped by the rank and file. If nothing else they were lucrative hostages as long as their virtue was preserved.

Mar 2016
Australia
High level captives were not typically raped by the rank and file. If nothing else they were lucrative hostages as long as their virtue was preserved.
But would they be considered "high level"? It's not as if they're the actual wife of a ruler, or a queen of any sort. They were essentially high-class mistresses.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
They might be considered wives by the Muslims but not by the Christians. They wouldn't have had the same status as a Christian queen.

If they weren't protected by the their status, they probably got it worse than women in the town or whatever, as they were taken prisoner and to humiliate the Muslim ruler.

OP's question is probably what happened to them long term. Were they free? Were they exchanged? Were they enslaved?

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
This would vary I imagine depending on who was taking them prisoner and under what circumstances.

But I’d not immediately leap to the most lecherous possibility.

If their capture was relatively peaceful in all likelyhood they’d be as well treated as everyone else by soldiery and nobles alike. If the Capturers were pirates .... you can expect they’d be having a very unpleasant time, if they were captured in the midst of some wild battle or seige ... then the odds of them being abused are higher,but as they might be mistook for a Muslim’s sex slaves we can imagine they might have had some sympathy from their liberators..

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall

In Spain, Greece, Portugal, Sicily, balkan where muslims had a once a large military presence, the high dignitaries (sultan, generals, vizir, etc...) generally brought with them their harem. And I've read that after the defeat of the turks in Hungary during the war of 1682-1699, christian forces captured the sultan's harem. I discovered the same thing happened during the reconquista. And I wanted to know what happened to these women? Are there books which talk or make mention of this? Because I imagine that there were not only European women (captured during muslim raid in European coast) but also more exotic women (African, middle eastern,...)
You seem to have no concept of muslim Spain I'm afraid. If someone 'brought a harem with them', I reckon those that came across in 711 would be about 250 years old by the time of the Caliphate - not desirable in ladies of a harem.

Various parts of Hispania (initially most of it) WERE muslim for over 800 years - most of the population was orginally hispano-roman-gothic. They didn't just pop over one day and leave the next

Mar 2016
Australia
You seem to have no concept of muslim Spain I'm afraid. If someone 'brought a harem with them', I reckon those that came across in 711 would be about 250 years old by the time of the Caliphate - not desirable in ladies of a harem.

Various parts of Hispania (initially most of it) WERE muslim for over 800 years - most of the population was orginally hispano-roman-gothic. They didn't just pop over one day and leave the next
I recall reading in God's War by Christopher Tyreman that large parts of the population of Muslim-ruled Iberia remained Christian despite the ruling class being Muslim. It seems inaccurate and exaggerated to claim that "initially most of" Hispania was Muslim "for over 800 years". Do you have a source that supports this?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
That's something I've wondered , what was the Muslim / Christian ratio for each province by the time of each area reconquest
there must have been some variation going from North to South
it would seem obvious that the longer the occupation the higher the ratio

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe

Are you asking what happened to the women after the 'christian forces captured the sultan's harem...' or what had happened to the women while they were captive?