What happened to women from harem captured by christian force

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Should also be noted that the harem were not all sex Slaves. The harem was the collection of women belonging to the head... it included wives, daughters, paid servents, young sons, aunts, mother, slaves and concubines aswell as eunuchs...

Dreamhunter

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Malaysia
The eunuchs were in there to function as the guards of the harem, as I understand it. That was to have been their major role.

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Can you elaborate? I didn’t understood you. Isabel (Elizabeth) was the Christian name of Zaida, she was from the Taifa of Seville: Zaida of Seville - Wikipedia
The Queen of the UK. The claim that Queen Elizabeth II is one of Mohammed’s descendants belongs to Harold Brooks-Baker, who wrote to the British PM Margaret Thatcher at the time 'It is little known by the British people that the blood of Mohammed flows in the veins of the Queen'. Connection to Mohammed is via Zaida of Seville.

Harold Brooks-Baker - Wikipedia

Dec 2013
Finland
I know, it's a very strange question but I m curious.

In Spain, Greece, Portugal, Sicily, balkan where muslims had a once a large military presence, the high dignitaries (sultan, generals, vizir, etc...) generally brought with them their harem. And I've read that after the defeat of the turks in Hungary during the war of 1682-1699, christian forces captured the sultan's harem. I discovered the same thing happened during the reconquista. And I wanted to know what happened to these women? Are there books which talk or make mention of this? Because I imagine that there were not only European women (captured during muslim raid in European coast) but also more exotic women (African, middle eastern,...)
Harem: The World Behind the Veil by Alev Croutier has some information about what happened to the women of the Harem when Ottoman Empire was dissolved. It has some information on lesser harems too, if I recall correctly.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The Queen of the UK. The claim that Queen Elizabeth II is one of Mohammed’s descendants belongs to Harold Brooks-Baker, who wrote to the British PM Margaret Thatcher at the time 'It is little known by the British people that the blood of Mohammed flows in the veins of the Queen'. Connection to Mohammed is via Zaida of Seville.

Harold Brooks-Baker - Wikipedia
Oh! Thanks. The things that people write to sell books.

We should note that we even don’t know the true relation of Zaida with the Al-Mu'tamid, and even less the relation of Al-Mu'tamid with the Mahomet. But ok. It is a claim.

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Oh! Thanks. The things that people write to sell books.

We should note that we even don’t know the true relation of Zaida with the Al-Mu'tamid, and even less the relation of Al-Mu'tamid with the Mahomet. But ok. It is a claim.
A Daily Mail article about the matter and the ancestry in full:

Is the Queen related to Prophet Muhammad? | Daily Mail Online

Elizabeth II, Queen of the UK - daughter of
George VI, King of the UK - son of
George V, King of the UK - son of
Edward VII, King of the UK - son of
Victoria, Queen of the UK - daughter of
Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn - son of
George III, King of Great Britain - son of
Frederick, Prince of Wales - son of
George II, King of Great Britain - son of
George I, King of Great Britain - son of
Sophia, Electress of Hanover - daughter of
Elizabeth of Bohemia - daughter of
James I/VI, King of England, Ireland & Scotland - son of
Mary, Queen of Scots - daughter of
James V, King of Scots - son of
Margaret Tudor - daughter of
Elizabeth of York - daughter of
Edward IV, King of England - son of
Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York - son of
Richard of Conisburgh, Earl of Cambridge - son of
Isabella Perez of Castille - daughter of
Maria Juana de Padilla - daughter of
Maria Fernandez de Henestrosa - daughter of
Aldonza Ramirez de Cifontes - daughter of
Aldonza Gonsalez Giron - daughter of
Sancha Rodriguez de Lara - daughter of
Rodrigo Rodriguez de Lara - son of
Sancha Alfonsez, Infanta of Castile - daughter of
Zaida (aka Isabella) - daughter of
Al-Mu'tamid ibn Abbad, King of Seville - son of
Abbad II al-Mu'tadid, King of Seville - son of
Abu al-Qasim Muhammad ibn Abbad, King of Seville - son of
Ismail ibn Qarais - son of
Qarais ibn Abbad - son of
Abbad ibn Amr - son of
Amr ibn Aslan - son of
Aslan ibn Amr - son of
Amr ibn Itlaf - son of
Itlaf ibn Na'im - son of
Na'im II al-Lakhmi - son of
Na'im al-Lakhmi - son of
Zahra bint Husayn - daughter of
Husayn ibn Hasan - son of
Hasan ibn Ali - son of
Fatima - daughter of
Muhammad (pbuh)

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Should also be noted that the harem were not all sex Slaves. The harem was the collection of women belonging to the head... it included wives, daughters, paid servents, young sons, aunts, mother, slaves and concubines aswell as eunuchs...
Indeed so. In the Caliphate of Cordoba it tended to be the Caliph's collection of wives. Including Christian ones not by capture but by the usual political negotiations to seal treaties.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Sancha Alfonsez, Infanta of Castile - daughter of

Zaida (aka Isabella) - daughter of

Al-Mu'tamid ibn Abbad, King of Seville - son of
For me the British Queen can even be descendent of Adam and Eve, the historical problem is that we aren’t really sure of the relation of Al-Mu'tamid and Zaida (we can’t assure that she was her daughter, it is also possible that she was her daughter-in-law) and we know that Sancha Alfonsez was the daughter of Isabel, but we don’t know if that Isabel is the same as Zaida. It is probable or possible that Alfonso had two wives (or a wife and a mistress) named Isabel. And I am only commenting fragilities on two of those links. Anyway the article comments that “Historians believe…” and than doesn’t quote any.

One thing is curious the article says that “Zaida was the fourth wife of King Al-Mu'tamid ibn Abbad of Seville”, and offspring doesn’t pass trough wedding but then “She bore him a son Sancho, whose descendant later married the Earl of Cambridge in the 11th century.” While Sancho doesn’t have known descendents, he was killed at Ulclés. And then “But British magazine the Spectator points out Zaida's origins are 'debatable'. Some historians believe she was the daughter of a wine-drinking caliph descended from the Prophet. Others say she married into his family. “ That really seems more a political and a gossip theme than a historical one.