What happened to women from harem captured by christian force

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
The first group of slaves brought to Virginia were sold by a Dutch ship, which had taken them from a Spanish ship in a "privateering" raid. The Spanish immediately had them baptized in Africa. So the courts in Virginia ruled they could not be enslaved because they were Christian and they were treated as indentured servants, and their children were free. It didn't matter that they were Catholic baptisms. The rule probably was created before the Reformation, and Catholic was as good as Lutheran or whatever to the English.

There were many white British or Irish indentured servants on British plantations. Most sentenced to that for crimes, but some were vagrants or political prisoners, particularly from the English Civil War. However, they could not be treated as slaves because they were Christian. That was English law. If someone was converted to Christianity after becoming a slave, that did not effect their status.

Richard Ligon describes 'Christian' convicts (from England) as being treated the same as slaves, on the plantations of Barbados, in his book True and Exact History of the Island of Barbadoes , (first published in 1657)

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
For me the British Queen can even be descendent of Adam and Eve, the historical problem is that we aren’t really sure of the relation of Al-Mu'tamid and Zaida (we can’t assure that she was her daughter, it is also possible that she was her daughter-in-law) and we know that Sancha Alfonsez was the daughter of Isabel, but we don’t know if that Isabel is the same as Zaida. It is probable or possible that Alfonso had two wives (or a wife and a mistress) named Isabel. And I am only commenting fragilities on two of those links. Anyway the article comments that “Historians believe…” and than doesn’t quote any.

One thing is curious the article says that “Zaida was the fourth wife of King Al-Mu'tamid ibn Abbad of Seville”, and offspring doesn’t pass trough wedding but then “She bore him a son Sancho, whose descendant later married the Earl of Cambridge in the 11th century.” While Sancho doesn’t have known descendents, he was killed at Ulclés. And then “But British magazine the Spectator points out Zaida's origins are 'debatable'. Some historians believe she was the daughter of a wine-drinking caliph descended from the Prophet. Others say she married into his family. “ That really seems more a political and a gossip theme than a historical one.
Yes, you mentioned in your previous post that we dont much about relation between Zaida and Al Mutamid. I have sketchy knowledge about Sancho Alfonsez because of the Ucles battle and the last stand of Garcia Ordonez protecting the infant. Posted this 'credible' source due to last year findings of the Moroccan journalists just FYI because apparently you missed the 'news' :)

Reactions: Tulius
May 2017
Monterrey
But you said people did not differentiate between their religion and other people's ones, and that is blatantly false. Read literally any piece of history that even mentions religion coming into conflict with other religions or the thought of other religions. People in the past were not brain-dead cattle that were incapable of understanding the concept of their being different religions in the world.
No, I said people didn't see themselves as Christians and Moslems primarily, that is way different than saying "people couldn't differiante between different religions". For most people, the religious class was the same as the ruling class. The message from Islamic scholars was not so different from the Christian one: pay your taxes and obey the laws.

May 2019
Belgium
And what about "exotic" women found by christian after the capture of the sultan's harem during the great Turkish war (1682-1699). By exotic women I mean brown, black,... Is there any record of that?

Mar 2016
Australia
And what about "exotic" women found by christian after the capture of the sultan's harem during the great Turkish war (1682-1699). By exotic women I mean brown, black,... Is there any record of that?
Most women in the harem would have been white, primarily from the Caucasus and the Balkans, since Islam forbids the enslavement of other Muslims and the women of the harem - at least specifically the sultan's mistresses - were technically slaves.