What happens with the USSR in the 1980s and beyond if Mikhail Gorbachev dies young?

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
How do you think that either Romanov or Grishin would have ruled the USSR?
Grigory Romanov was one of the most odious party leaders and personally responsible for the many abominations created under his direct supervision and with his highest approval....
...in personal terms, Grigory Romanov made the impression of a man of deeply decent, principled character. He was also distinguished by his equal treatment of people, no matter who was in front of him. As far as I know, a kind, warm atmosphere reigned in his family ... If Gorbachev could not seize power and do all his dirty deeds to betray the interests of the country, if instead of Gorbachev, Grigory Romanov was elected to the post of General Secretary (and he was from this in one step), you and I would now continue to live in the Soviet Union, of course, reformed, modernized, but prosperous and strong.
--------------
Talking with Grishina (the daughter of Viktor Grishin) put me in an awkward position and made me think a lot.
“We finally got a new refrigerator,” Grishina once told me. - and I had to wait for him for a whole week.
“Probably Finnish, Rosenlev,” I put in, wanting to show off my awareness of the most fashionable purchases then.
“No, Philips brand refrigerator, special order directly from the company,” Olga said. - We collect the entire kitchen only of this brand: furniture, a kitchen TV, a VCR, stoves of all sorts ... Sometimes it costs so much. For example, we paid three thousand for a refrigerator!
- Rubles? I asked in horror.
“Dollars, of course,” answered Grishina.
What are dollars, I did not know at all. I heard that this was the name of the capitalist currency that was hostile to us, for which 'they' sent ppl to prison.
---------
One day I asked Grishina to help me buy the same suit her husband has.The answer was unexpected.
“You know, Artem,” said Grishina, “I have not been to any store in the Union for twenty years.” We have a special three hundredth section on Kutuzovsky Prospekt. There they give us different western catalogs."
I realized that Grishina and I live on different planets and I should not ask such questions anymore

Last edited:

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
What's your source for all of these quotes?
The sources / Russian / you mentioned that you know this language / Enjoy!

Reactions: Futurist