What has the European union done for your country?

Jul 2011
Sweden
This is not a bashing thread. Please write some points that you actually are good.

These are mine so far.

Gave us a voice inside of europe which my small country would not have had without it.

Opened export to us with no border taxes that would make it impossible for many of our industries to compete within the EU.

Also gave many of our students the chance to study abroad for the same fee the native people pay. Our universities doesn't have the room for all the applicants. So it's a great resource to be able to study within the EU.

Also integrating with other European countries on a massive cultural scale.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Opened export to us with no border taxes that would make it impossible for many of our industries to compete within the EU.

Also gave many of our students the chance to study abroad for the same fee the native people pay. Our universities doesn't have the room for all the applicants. So it's a great resource to be able to study within the EU.
On the first point any trade deal may do that.

On the second point its not a feature of the EU.. Many african students for example study in many european countries for the same fee as the "natives"
(on a separate point I am curious as to how many swedes study in other EU countries and which ones)

In general its rather surprising how people attribute to the EU things which it either did not do or which could have easily been done without it

Feb 2014
Asia
On the first point any trade deal may do that.
27 countries doing individual 26 deals each. We need 26x26 = 676 trade deals. I think it is better to create an institute rather than hampering the trade because of the confusion of deals.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
27 countries doing individual 26 deals each. We need 26x26 = 676 trade deals. I think it is better to create an institute rather than hampering the trade because of the confusion of deals.
Not necessarily... A trade deal may include as many countries as can agree

Last edited:

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Yeah, and the countries signing that trade deal would form a trade bloc. Isn't EU a trade bloc ?
Not only.... If it were only a trade bloc it would get much less criticism

I dont know other trade blocs where upwards of 5% of your taxes go to finance the trade bloc

Similar History Discussions