What historical period/event made you fall in love with history?

Jul 2018
United States
For me, it was WWII. My dad gave me this huge WWII book one summer in middle school and I got hooked. Learning about the characters, tenuous alliances, atrocities, heroes, etc. felt like a real-life movie. I'd go to bed hours early just to read more of it.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
The Egyptian room at the State Museum.

At school ,learning about the fertile crescent.

As an adult, reading "Joan of Arc" by Marina Warner.

It's been sporadic; in the last ten years have pretty much restricted my reading to history; The one I enjoyed the most is" London;The Biography" by Peter Ackroyd, a close second is 'The Victorians' by A N Wilson.

Most recent on Ancient history: "The Bible Unearthed; Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and The Origin Of its Sacred Texts" by Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Siberman. The conclusions reached were not well received by Jews or Christians.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
My grandmother sharing stories about life in a very diversified ethnic neighborhood in a large cosmopolitan city: her story. On an international level, it was reading about the Risorgimento. It seemed so exciting and intriguing to me as a child. Garibaldi and Cavour, in particular, enthralled me.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
My grandmother sharing stories about life in a very diversified ethnic neighborhood in a large cosmopolitan city: her story. On an international level, it was reading about the Risorgimento. It seemed so exciting and intriguing to me as a child. Garibaldi and Cavour, in particular, enthralled me.
You lucky devil! The unification of Italy is a fascinating time. Was it then that the papal states were broken up?

My family is Irish ,on both sides. Both left Ireland during The Hunger . Mum's family went to Canada and got rich. Dad's family came to Australia, stayed poor , and got children.

My mother's family is of interest if one is interested in Ice hockey , which I'n not--Not sure Australia has ANY hockey rinks. Anyway, my grandfather was Hockey hall of fame inductee Frank Patrick. There is a book "The Patrick's; Hockey's Royal Family" by Eric Whitehead. First published in 1980, and still in print. I read it at the time, and found it mildly interesting.. Some nice photos.

Apart from that, it's possible (not too likely) that our most famous outlaw, Ned Kelly, could be a distant relative of my paternal grandmother.

Dec 2018
Australia
For me Percy Jackson got me hooked on Greek mythology, which evolved into a love of other mythologies, which grew into a love of Greek history and general history as well as mythology.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I can't really say for sure, but one of the earliest experiences that I had learning history was when I learned about early American history in fifth grade. That was very interesting and I also remember looking at a book which contained a list of all of the U.S. Presidents. I guess that my interest in history simply expanded from there.

Of course, I was also interested in the 2004 U.S. presidential election at the time and was disappointed when John Kerry lost.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
You lucky devil! The unification of Italy is a fascinating time. Was it then that the papal states were broken up?

My family is Irish ,on both sides. Both left Ireland during The Hunger . Mum's family went to Canada and got rich. Dad's family came to Australia, stayed poor , and got children.

My mother's family is of interest if one is interested in Ice hockey , which I'n not--Not sure Australia has ANY hockey rinks. Anyway, my grandfather was Hockey hall of fame inductee Frank Patrick. There is a book "The Patrick's; Hockey's Royal Family" by Eric Whitehead. First published in 1980, and still in print. I read it at the time, and found it mildly interesting.. Some nice photos.

Apart from that, it's possible (not too likely) that our most famous outlaw, Ned Kelly, could be a distant relative of my paternal grandmother.
The Papal States, except for the Vatican, were not absorbed until 1870. As for hockey, I love the sport and am familiar with the Patrick clan, a great hockey family. I believe Craig Patrick - a former GM of my hometown team, is Lester's grandson. As a matter of fact, Craig was just rehired as a scout.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Craig Patrick is my second cousin. Yes, Lester's grandson, I think. .

I met Murray "Muzz" Patrick in 1985. A gentle giant of a man. (especially next to my then wife at 5 feet 1/2 an inch) I still have the New York Rangers hockey puck he gave me.

Of course Muzz played for, and later managed The New York Rangers. In his youth, he was also Canadian Amateur Heavy weight boxing champion.

Similar History Discussions