What historical period/event made you fall in love with history?

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Australia actually has its own version of the War of independence-ish, writ very small. It was more a revolt than a revolution. Its symbol is the flag bearing only The Southern Cross. At one time, some Australian youth travelling overseas would have a small southern cross flag displayed on their back packs. Oh, I think it can be argued that the miners won in the long run..

The original Southern Cross Flag is on display in the Ballarat Museum.

The incident/ revolt was the Eureka Stockade/ Eureka Rebellion, which occurred on the Ballarat (Victoria) gold fields in 1854.

"The Eureka Rebellion was a rebellion in 1854, instigated by gold miners in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia, who revolted against the colonial authority of the United Kingdom. It culminated in the Battle of the Eureka Stockade, which was fought between miners and the colonial forces of Australia on 3 December 1854 at Eureka Lead and named for the stockade structure built by miners during the conflict.[2] The rebellion resulted in the deaths of at least 27 people, the majority of whom were rebels.

The rebellion was the culmination of a period of civil disobedience in the Ballarat region during the Victorian gold rush with miners objecting to the expense of a miner's licence, taxation via the licence without representation, and the actions of the government, the police and military.[3][4] The local rebellion grew from a Ballarat Reform League movement and culminated in the erection by the rebels of a crude battlement and a swift and deadly siege by colonial forces.

Mass public support for the captured rebels in the colony's capital of Melbourne when they were placed on trial resulted in the introduction of the Electoral Act 1856, which mandated suffrage for male colonists in the lower house in the Victorian parliament. This is considered the second instituted act of political democracy in Australia.[3] Female colonists of South Australia were awarded suffrage 5 years later on condition of owning property, much in the way men did not have full suffrage in the absence of property ownership.[5] As such, the Eureka Rebellion is controversially identified with the birth of democracy in Australia and interpreted by some as a political revolt.[6][7][8]"

Eureka Rebellion - Wikipedia

Attachments

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
during the new guinea campaign Australian didn't fly the official flag , since it implied Australia was a dominion
instead they flew the "red ensign " of the merchant navy as a sign of independence
Australian Red Ensign
Really. Gee,I didn't know that. Makes sense though; at that time Australians tended to think of themselves as British. Not my family of course, we're Aussie by birth, Irish Celt by blood. My grandfather had not forgiven the British for Oliver Cromwell.

I remember the young queen's first visit, I was 6. I was very disappointed because she wasn't wearing her crown. Every child in Australia was given a copy of The New Testament as a gift on the occasion of the queen's coronation. At the time, I would have far preferred lollies . Imagine them even thinking of such a thing today.

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
Really. Gee,I didn't know that. Makes sense though; at that time Australians tended to think of themselves as British. Not my family of course, we're Aussie by birth, Irish Celt by blood. My grandfather had not forgiven the British for Oliver Cromwell.

Thankfully this kind of grudge bearing and 'Celtic blood' sillyness and myth making is on the wane from the descendants of the Irish diaspora in Australia and the USA

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
You'd have to go back four generations of the Cromwells to have a Welsh connection. I'd say that's far enough in the past to not consider him Welsh.
Really? Even if that were true, it still does not make them 'squarely English'.
England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland were not seperated by impenetrable walls. Where no one ever mixed or intermarried for thousands of years

Mar 2016
Australia
Really? Even if that were true, it still does not make them 'squarely English'.
England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland were not seperated by impenetrable walls. Where no one ever mixed or intermarried for thousands of years
Great strawman you made there. I have British heritage on both sides of my family so I don't need you to tell me that there was intermixture within the British Isles. But with a distance of roughly a century and a half between Morgan ap William and Oliver Cromwell, it makes the Welsh blood in the Cromwell family so diluted as to be practically non-existent. He was born to English parents, who were themselves born to English parents. He was born and grew up in England, and he spoke English. Oliver Cromwell was absolutely English for all intents and purposes. If you want to get technical with bloodlines we can all trace ourselves back to Charlemagne, but that would be a bit absurd and irrelevant.

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
Great strawman you made there. I have British heritage on both sides of my family so I don't need you to tell me that there was intermixture within the British Isles. But with a distance of roughly a century and a half between Morgan ap William and Oliver Cromwell, it makes the Welsh blood in the Cromwell family so diluted as to be practically non-existent. He was born to English parents, who were themselves born to English parents. He was born and grew up in England, and he spoke English. Oliver Cromwell was absolutely English for all intents and purposes. If you want to get technical with bloodlines we can all trace ourselves back to Charlemagne, but that would be a bit absurd and irrelevant.
My point was more that Cromwell was being criticised just for being English.

It reminds me of when nationalistic Irish and Welsh people used to attack Margaret Thatcher for being 'English'. Now I am no fan of the woman, but it was her policy I disliked, not her nationality. Maybe 'a strawman', but Margaret Thatcher's (nee Roberts) ancestry is also Irish and Welsh. Infact her Grandmother was a migrant to England from the Irish famine

Similar History Discussions