What historical period/event made you fall in love with history?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
As a child, I was enamored with 19th century Europe. The Napoleonic era, the revolutions of 1848 for the freedom of the common person, the American Civil War, the Risorgimento in Italy, the formation of Imperial Germany, the U.S. entrance onto the world stage with the Spanish-American War, inventions and developments in industry and economics in Britain and the U.S., the mass migration from Europe to the U.S., etc. Such an exciting time.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
The Devil Rides Out indeed.

Great books, shocking Hammer films :)
Yeah, Hammer horror films are a taste I've never acquired. Same with the camp nonsense with Vincent Price--I like GOOD horror films ; The Exorcist, Alien. and like that.

'The Devil Rides Out' is pretty good too.

I noticed Wheatley became a bit sex obsessed as he got older. Wilbur Smith did the same thing. Pretty sure I understand

Oct 2018
Raritania
For me, it was WWII. My dad gave me this huge WWII book one summer in middle school and I got hooked. Learning about the characters, tenuous alliances, atrocities, heroes, etc. felt like a real-life movie. I'd go to bed hours early just to read more of it.
Certainly the American Revolution, which then opened up the gates for me to learn about my ancestors who fought in WWI/II. Then my dad got me a military history book, before you knew I was hooked. I think my interest in geography also helped.

Oct 2011
the middle ground
I'm pretty sure it was the American Revolution. I had a book on it I carried around like Linus' blanket, lived a few miles from the battlefield park at Monmouth (NJ), and it was around the time of the Bicentennial.

Jun 2013
Connecticut
First day of 6th grade. We're picking up all our books. One book was a massive hard cover one about world history. I cracked it open and saw the wonderful artwork that illustrated the history. I was hooked. A month or so into the term I already read the entire textbook.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
"What historical period/event made you fall in love with history?"

Ok, I confess, it was WWII. Even if WWII is now quite far from my usual field of readings.

I had some 5 (?) years old when I begun to have my first WWII miniatures from Timpo Toys. Then I had some others... the US Civil War miniatures and the Medieval and the French Foreign Legion and Berbers... and then... I look at me and I am at Historum.

Jun 2018
Philadelphia, PA
The high/late medieval period of Europe due to crusader kings (game)
This was the time when there was far more significant focus on restricting the power of the King than any time before it, and probably just about the last time it was ever necessary. Really the start of checks and balances, one might say. Not sure how I feel about it really.

Similar History Discussions