What historical periods are you sick and tired of studying?

Jun 2015
The Former British Empire
Title says it all- with what historical periods have you had your fill? I think, for me, I would say that is the case for the American Civil War, World War II, and the Tudor era.

I'm sure the Tudor era is a common one for this. It's just talked about way too much. I've had enough of Henry VIII and Elizabeth I to last a lifetime.

I don't think the others are common, though. I think it came from the fact that those are the historical periods my father likes the most, so I ended up seeing a lot on that, too. But I realize that this obviously doesn't happen for everybody.

So, what about you guys?

May 2015
Germany
I never properly studyied it, but as a German one doesn't have to to know stuff about it, but I am so bored of WW2. It's just the same over and over and over again. Hitler here, Nazis there, spiced with a bit of jews and Holocaust, some D-Day and Stalingrad and so on and so on.

Matthew Amt

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
MD, USA
Not *exactly* sick and tired, but I'm pretty burned out on researching Rome. Ya gotta understand, I've been running a Roman reenactment group for a good 25 years, so I've *earned* my retirement farm! And some of it had to do with a couple very ugly personalities who did their best to ruin my Hobby. But partly it's just getting inspired to do other things!

So I spend a lot of thinking and working on Greek and Mycenaean history, these days. (Gotta have MORE SPEARS!! And MORE SWORDS! And at least one more shield, and 2 or 3 more helmets. Three. Probably not four.)

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to strap on the old lorica segmentata for a day! It is all too easy to slide into the legionary character, and great fun. But the Roman projects have slid WAY down the list.

Matthew

Sep 2015
England
I'm tired of the yesterday's history, via the news. Not enough context and chain linkages between one day, and one week, and the next. I'm tired of investing my time in an apparent dearth of meaning.

Dec 2014
Europe
I don't study it, but man am I sick of hearing about WW2! I think it was covered to death by about 10 years ago, and yet they're still filling the TV docs, books, movies, computer games, etc. with it...

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
i love WWII. but even now there are things we don't know. and who knows if Hitler really did kill himself or escape? WWII shaped the modern world in many ways, so I guess it's why.

I think there are periods of history that are not featured enough, such as pre-colonial Africa (Mali, Asante, Benin, Kongo as examples), Anglo-Saxon England (more advanced than those overrated Normans at least), Reconstruction USA, and Cyrus/Darius the Great. I'm British myself, and how we underrate the Anglo-Saxons vis a vis the Normans is pretty criminal, it's just Victorians or whoever reformulate historical understanding had a pro-Norman bias, that's all.

Apr 2015
USA
Title says it all- with what historical periods have you had your fill? I think, for me, I would say that is the case for the American Civil War, World War II, and the Tudor era.

I'm sure the Tudor era is a common one for this. It's just talked about way too much. I've had enough of Henry VIII and Elizabeth I to last a lifetime.

I don't think the others are common, though. I think it came from the fact that those are the historical periods my father likes the most, so I ended up seeing a lot on that, too. But I realize that this obviously doesn't happen for everybody.

So, what about you guys?
I'm not exactly sick of studying it, per se, but if I never hear another discussion about the Evil South versus the Righteous North (in the Civil War) I'll be good!

Jun 2016
Roman Empire
Anything related to African history. Let's be honest. Nothing too important happened in sub Saharan Africa.