What history books have you bought recently? v.2

Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
I bought a bunch of books. Decided to get a lot of them on Kindle because it was affordable and I really hate dealing with shipping costs and waiting for the package to arrive (if it arrives).

-Rikugun: Guide to Japanese Ground Forces 1937-1945 volumes 1 and 2
-Charlemagne and Louis the Pious
-Franco-Prussian War volumes 1 and 2 by Quintin Barry
-The War of the Austrian Succession by Reed S. Browning
-Lutzen and Bautzen: Napoleon's Spring Campaign of 1813 by Nafziger
-Military Revolution in the Sixteenth Century by David Eltis
-Three Armies on the Somme by William Philpott
-Philip V of Macedon by FW Walbank
-Kangzhan: Guide to Chinese Ground Forces 1937-1945
-War in the East: A Military History of the Russo-Turkish War 1877-1878

Jul 2018
Hong Kong
Wow, you purchased so many books, Lord Nobunaga?It’s shame that I never read so many books due to my lack of time and laziness. And I could not afford spending so much money. Also, the bookshelf in my home is almost full, does not have great capacity to accommodate so many books.

Usually I borrow from the public libraries in Hong Kong, though I did buy few books, but I never have much determination in finishing the reading (soon get boring after distracted by other more interesting historical topics;I could never focus on finishing one book, that’s my greatest problem).

Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
Wow, you purchased so many books, Lord Nobunaga?It’s shame that I never read so many books due to my lack of time and laziness. And I could not afford spending so much money. Also, the bookshelf in my home is almost full, does not have great capacity to accommodate so many books.

Usually I borrow from the public libraries in Hong Kong, though I did buy few books, but I never have much determination in finishing the reading (soon get boring after distracted by other more interesting historical topics;I could never focus on finishing one book, that’s my greatest problem).
Though I realized my shelf isn't big enough for all my books. :crying:
This was actually a big reason for my switching to Kindle, Nuke was right. The other one being that I hate shipping. :evil:
I need to reorganize it now. Maybe my top shelf will be for the Napoleonic Wars, middle shelf will be Chinese books and bottom can be WW1 and WW2?
Though I will have to move all my Japanese, Medieval and Classical history books. Have literally nowhere to put my art books.

Last edited:
Sep 2012
India
I bought a bunch of books. Decided to get a lot of them on Kindle because it was affordable and I really hate dealing with shipping costs and waiting for the package to arrive (if it arrives).

-Rikugun: Guide to Japanese Ground Forces 1937-1945 volumes 1 and 2
-Charlemagne and Louis the Pious
-Franco-Prussian War volumes 1 and 2 by Quintin Barry
-The War of the Austrian Succession by Reed S. Browning
-Lutzen and Bautzen: Napoleon's Spring Campaign of 1813 by Nafziger
-Military Revolution in the Sixteenth Century by David Eltis
-Three Armies on the Somme by William Philpott
-Philip V of Macedon by FW Walbank
-Kangzhan: Guide to Chinese Ground Forces 1937-1945
-War in the East: A Military History of the Russo-Turkish War 1877-1878
Please review ' Three Armies on the Somme '. Even a short review will do.

Last edited:
Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
Let me know what you think of this one!
So far it seems decent. Lots of political coverage, strategy, operations and tactical battles. The actors are also bought up; sovereigns, generals, diplomats and other policy makers. A lot of backstory about the Crimean War and the developments in Russia, France and Turkey. The descriptions of the campaigns are pretty good though sometimes I wish there was more detail. A lot of the maps and information appears to be from some older English language books though which were compiled together to form the narrative in this book. Even if it wasn't an excellent book it is still a lot of information about an event which I've never read anything about. At hundreds of pages and it still only cost like $4 on Amazon Kindle.

Please review ' Three Armies on the Somme '. Even a short review will do.
I got the physical copy so it hasn't arrived yet. :crying:

Similar History Discussions