What history books have you bought recently? v.2

Apr 2010
US
So far it seems decent. Lots of political coverage, strategy, operations and tactical battles. The actors are also bought up; sovereigns, generals, diplomats and other policy makers. A lot of backstory about the Crimean War and the developments in Russia, France and Turkey. The descriptions of the campaigns are pretty good though sometimes I wish there was more detail. A lot of the maps and information appears to be from some older English language books though which were compiled together to form the narrative in this book. Even if it wasn't an excellent book it is still a lot of information about an event which I've never read anything about. At hundreds of pages and it still only cost like $4 on Amazon Kindle.

That sounds like a really good read. I'm going to have to keep my eye out for a copy.

Nov 2008
England
I have just started to read Our Bones Are Scattered by the American historian, Andrew Ward. This is the definitive study of the Cawnpore Massacre during the Indian Mutiny. If anyone decides to read it, be warned. It is gruesome.

Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
Please review ' Three Armies on the Somme '. Even a short review will do.
Okay I got the book yesterday. From flipping the pages really quick I noticed that it was a very thick book, so that is a positive for me. It goes over the relations between the British and French a little but mostly focuses on strategy, operations and the actual combat and tactical engagements. A book this big on a single campaign is good by my standards. You might as well read it.

Sep 2012
India
Okay I got the book yesterday. From flipping the pages really quick I noticed that it was a very thick book, so that is a positive for me. It goes over the relations between the British and French a little but mostly focuses on strategy, operations and the actual combat and tactical engagements. A book this big on a single campaign is good by my standards. You might as well read it.
I have already ordered two books one on Stalin by Khlevniuk and the other by Kershaw on Hitler ( single volume being made up of the two earlier books ). So I will purchase your recommendation somewhat later.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Germany's Wild East: Constructing Poland as Colonial Space (Social History, Popular Culture, And Politics In Germany) by Kristin Kopp.

Feb 2016
Atlantic Ocean
three books

Debating the Holocaust: A New Look at Both Sides by Thomas Dalton

Hitlers Revolution by Richard Tedor

The Military Reforms of Nicholas By Frederick W. Kagan

Jul 2018
Hong Kong
Nine books I purchased worthy for mention

A History of the Crusades I : The First Crusade by Steven Runciman
Ardennes 1944 : Hitler's Last Gamble by Antony Beevor
England, Arise : The People, the King & The Great Revolt of 1381 by Juliet Barker
Desert Kingdoms to Global Powers : The Rise of the Arab Gulf

Two are Chinese-translated version

The Jihadis Return : ISIS and the Sunni Uprising by Patrick Cockburn
The Ghost of Cannae : Hannibal and the Darkest Hour of the Roman Republic, by Robert L. O' Connell

Three are Chinese-translated Japanese books

The Tales of the Roman II : The Hannibal Chronicles by Nanami Shiono
The Tales of the Roman IV : The Age of Caesar (before the Rubicon) by Nanami Shiono
The Tales of the Roman V : The Age of Caesar (after the Rubicon) by Nanami Shiono

Viperlord

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
VA
Railroaded: The Transcontinentals and the Making of Modern America, by Richard White.

The Field of Blood: The Battle for Aleppo and the Remaking of the Medieval Middle East, by Nicholas Morton.

One Nation Under God: How Corporate America Invented Christian America, by Kevin Kruse.

Similar History Discussions