What history books have you bought recently? v.2

Lord Oda Nobunaga

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
So far I've found that Daryaee makes interesting observations but that his condensed historical narrative sometimes suffers from a lack of clarity.
It is an okay book. I've never been able to find the one great Sasanian history book. The Cambridge History is a decent all around source. But what I want is specific information.

The most recent book I got was a collection of essays about the State of Qin from Li Yu-Ning.

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
It is an okay book. I've never been able to find the one great Sasanian history book. The Cambridge History is a decent all around source. But what I want is specific information.

The most recent book I got was a collection of essays about the State of Qin from Li Yu-Ning.
Have you read Rezakhani's 'Reorienting the Sasanians'?

Reactions: ShadowSwordmaster

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I am looking into reading Sarantis' Justinian's Balkan Wars. I have read a Croatian review of the book and it seems rather interesting. Did anyone read it and what were your impressions?

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
I am looking into reading Sarantis' Justinian's Balkan Wars. I have read a Croatian review of the book and it seems rather interesting. Did anyone read it and what were your impressions?
It's excellent.

Jan 2014
Portugal
The Lost Book of Moses: The Quest for the World's Oldest Bible--and the Man Who Wrote It by Chanan Tigay

Completly random buy... But it seems interesting now.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
I have just received ' Decolonizing the Hindu Mind ' by Dr. Koenraad Elst, published by Rupa Publications , New Delhi, 2001( fourth edition 2016 ), 979-81-291-0746-5. It seems to be a great read with 657 pages including 28 pages of Bibliography and 23 pages of index.

Reactions: ShadowSwordmaster
Jun 2018
New York
"From Antiquity to the Nuclear Age the Art of War in World History" Edited by Gerard Chaliand. It is a brick of a book I bought at a thrift store. Looking forward to getting into it. I've Been wanting a big history book like this for a long while.

Jan 2014
Portugal
Portugal e Itália. Divergências e Convergências em Quarenta e Três Anos de Relações Diplomáticas (1943-1986)

Portugal and Italy, diplomatic relations between 1943-1986.

Oct 2016
Ashland
Our local 'Friends of the Library' held their monthly sale and I bought(for $1 each):
John Julius Norwich A Short History of Byzantium
Conquistador
author's name escapes me.:( Seems accurate enough (i.e., agrees with Bernal, other sources) though I've yet to Source the statement that Cortes brought 300 slaves with him from Cuba to do the heavy lifting and serve as porters; seems reasonable, but I'm still unable to check it out.
Bede's Ecclesiastical History ...
Josephus Collected Works (in English Translation)
David Roberts In Search of the Old Ones silly travelogue; how'd he ever get this published?