What if a Bavarian referendum to seceed from Germany succeeds?

Oct 2015
California
I just found out recently that there was a Bavaria Party which is an autonomist/secessionist party advocating independence from Germany. According to wikipedia "In the autumn of 2013, the elections for the Bavarian Parliament brought the best result for the Bavaria Party since 1966. It increased its share of the vote. In Bavaria, the BP reached 2.1% (2008: 1.1%)."

Since the "Brexit" vote, the Bavria Party has reignited calls for a Bavarian exit from Germany and become an independent country within the EU.

So what woud a post "Bav-exit" Germany and Bavaria look like, if in the future a Bavarian secessionism becomes popular enough for Bavaria to hold a referrendum and suceeds? Do you think this would hurt the largest economy in the EU?

sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria_Party

First Brexit now Bav-exit? Bavaria Party campaigns to leave EU and split Germany | World | News | Daily Express

Last edited:
Mar 2014
Gent, Flanders
Im not so sure that bavarois would be able to join the EU that easy or would automatische be I the EU if it secceeds from germany
Atleast it is something they used before to make people afraid everytime a region calls for independence.

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
If Scotland gets independence, then it could happen. I doubt Merkel or whoever her successor as Kansler would accept it is another moment.

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
As for hurting its economy, possibly. Though the bulk of German GDP is from the Frankfurt, Westphalia, and Rhien regions. Germany is a major exporter, and most of the plants are in this region. German GDP would still be the largest in Europe, but closer to the UK (second largest) without Bayern.

Oh, and Bayern may have to play in their own league or reapply for UEFA/FIFA status, but they win the Bundesliga by lightyears, so there would be no difference.

larkin

Ad Honorem
Sep 2009
Going back to 1920 Bavaria was semi-independent as a result of the chaos of WWI, but people forget that Germany was just a jumble of independent states until the 1871 unification led by Prussia. Bavaria was predominantly Catholic and had more common with Catholic Austria than the North Protestant Prussian Germany.

Someone tell me why it did go this way..?

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
Prussia persuaded/forced all of the other kingdoms to unite, with its King becoming Kaiser of Germany. I don't see what Bavaria gets from being independent though, I'd argue that all of the German states were united in some form, whether loosely under the Holy Roman Empire or the North German Confederation.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Federal Republic of Germany - federal by definition means succession is illegal.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Going back to 1920 Bavaria was semi-independent as a result of the chaos of WWI, but people forget that Germany was just a jumble of independent states until the 1871 unification led by Prussia. Bavaria was predominantly Catholic and had more common with Catholic Austria than the North Protestant Prussian Germany.

Someone tell me why it did go this way..?
As a result of the 1866 war between Prussia and Austria, Austria was prohibited from any involvement in other German states. In the mid-19th century all of the German states were moving toward national unification. The only real issue was who would lead the united Germany - Prussia or Austria? The 1866 war pretty much established that every German state except Austria was going to fall in behind Prussia.

Oct 2015
California
As for hurting its economy, possibly. Though the bulk of German GDP is from the Frankfurt, Westphalia, and Rhien regions. Germany is a major exporter, and most of the plants are in this region. German GDP would still be the largest in Europe, but closer to the UK (second largest) without Bayern.

Oh, and Bayern may have to play in their own league or reapply for UEFA/FIFA status, but they win the Bundesliga by lightyears, so there would be no difference.
Bavarian economy is one of the largest in the EU with a GDP exceeding 434 billion Euros as of 2007. Its probably grown considerably since then. If it were to become independent, its economy would rank 7th or 8th largest in the world . So yes I think the German economy would suffer if Bavaria decided to go it alone.