What if Churchill had accepted Hitler's peace offer sent by Rudolph Hess

May 2019
Northern and Western hemispheres
I thought that Hess's flight to Britain was unauthorized--which is why I heard on a documentary that Hitler wanted to hang Hess if Hess would have ever returned to Germany?
Interesting. Hitler might have suspected that Hess was a traitor. Either that or it was really important that have permission.

Reactions: Futurist

Lord Fairfax

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Changing trains at Terrapin Station...
Thanks for giving me your review of Pat Buchanan. The article that I came across online says that if Britain and Germany had made peace and Germany still invades the USSR the Jewish holocaust would have been avoided and the Jews would have been shipped to Madagascar or something along those lines. Do agree with this?

The idea that the Jews would be sent to Madagascar is a farce.
The only route for the Jews leaving from Germany to Madagascar involves a prolonged stop at Auschwitz.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Thanks for giving me your review of Pat Buchanan. The article that I came across online says that if Britain and Germany had made peace and Germany still invades the USSR the Jewish holocaust would have been avoided and the Jews would have been shipped to Madagascar or something along those lines. Do agree with this?
Yes, it's certainly very possible. That said, though, I wouldn't necessarily assume that the Nazis are going to treat the Jews well there; rather, they might simply turn the place into one giant concentration camp. I mean, what's the point of giving your enemies a good quality of life and ensuring that they will continue to reproduce a lot? It doesn't make sense.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The idea that the Jews would be sent to Madagascar is a farce.
The only route for the Jews leaving from Germany to Madagascar involves a prolonged stop at Auschwitz.
AFAIK, the Nazis only decided on extermination in 1941--which is when they actually banned Jewish emigration.

Reactions: Kubis Gabcik

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
BTW, if you want a way to prevent the Holocaust without having the Soviet Union be pushed back east of the Urals, you could have Stalin order the deportation of all Soviet Jews deep into the Soviet interior in the year before the start of Operation Barbarossa. Heck, you could even have Stalin offer to accept Jews from other parts of Nazi-controlled Europe as well and then subsequently deport them as well. At least that way most of them would have still kept their lives.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Frankly, the problem with any Nazi "solution" to the "Jewish problem" ("problem" in Nazi eyes, that is) is that if the Nazis are ever actually going to lose World War II, a lot of the deported Jews could subsequently return to Europe. Even if post-war Germany is going to be unappealing for Jews to settle in, they could still return in large numbers to countries such as Poland, Czechia, Slovakia, et cetera. After all, out of the 1.0-1.5 million Soviet Jews who did manage to flee to the Soviet interior in 1941-1942 in real life, a lot of them (perhaps even most of them) did return to their previous places of residence in the western USSR (Ukraine, Belarus, western Russia) after the end of World War II.

Reactions: Kubis Gabcik
May 2019
Northern and Western hemispheres
AFAIK, the Nazis only decided on extermination in 1941--which is when they actually banned Jewish emigration.
If I remember correctly it was in the fall of 1941 that Jews in Germany and maybe also in German occupied countries were forced to wear the six point star.

Lord Fairfax

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Changing trains at Terrapin Station...
When you prevent people from leaving and feed them about 9% of what's needed to survive you're pretty much exterminating them in all but name

The plight of Jews in war-torn Poland could be divided into stages defined by the existence of the ghettos. Before their formation, the escape from persecution did not involve extrajudicial punishment by death. Once the ghettos were sealed off from the outside, death by starvation and disease became rampant, alleviated only by the smuggling of food and medicine. The food stamps introduced by the Germans, provided 9 percent of the calories necessary for survival
The Holocaust in Poland - Wikipedia